Oilskin duster/drover ?

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
All, does anyone use an oilskin drover coat while riding into the back country ? I am looking at a 9 hour late season ride into camp and was wondering if they made sense as an outer layer? I was also thinking the long tails may provide some benefit as I dont have chinks or chaps. Please dont laugh at the obvious flatlander question.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On my hunt up in British Colombia we had a 23 mile ride into the cabins. I don't think anything would of helped the way that I felt when we got there and I did a lot of walking on the trip in. Then once there I lived in my rain gear for quite a bit of the time riding into and back from the hunting area. I also had a heaver coat that I just tied up behind the saddle in case it got cooler.

On the ride out we did that 23 miles with no real breaks or very much walking. It was raining all the way out and once we got to about a mile from the staging area I had to just get off and walk the rest of the way. I could almost hear the outfitter laughing at me as they rode the rest of the way into the corrals but a person needs to do what he needs to do.

So I believe that all the oilskin coat might do is to keep some wind or perhaps rain off of you. If you are not used to riding horses nothing is going to help much.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
There is an old cowboy saying that if your ass hurts your stirrups are too long and if your legs hurt your stirrups are too short if both legs and ass hurt your stirrups are set just right.

Oil skin is great at blocking the wind and will work for rain too a point, my biggest concern would be with a duster type coat is what my mount thought about it . Some horses have never seen one and it can get western.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ve got one I use occasionally, in all day wet weather they will eventually soak through. Convenient for quick on and off (and they look cool 😎). There are many other options for better performance and lighter weight. I wouldn’t consider taking mine on a back country hunt where weight and space are at a premium.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
If you want to be able to make the ride comfortably wear pants and long handles that won't bunch at the keens or ride up in the crotch. Try for a saddle that has no tooling on the fenders and I personally avoid padded seats as they tend to create the riding up of jeans. I wore a oil skin while horse back everyday at work but more for wind the rain. I wore the ranch cut coat that hits mid thigh, with something like that and maybe a piece of canvas to put over your lap you'll be ok just ask the outfitter about it he'll have ideas. I wouldn't wear chinks or chaps unless the are really broke in and your used to them as the straps can cause hot spots.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I have a Filson duster that is great in the wind and rain...in camp or riding.
It's just way too heavy for hiking/hunting.I also bought a pair of oilskin pants that
are good for rain and heavy cactus cover here in Az. Once again they are heavy.
Wear heavy pants or suffer walking through jumping cactus all day? Me I'm
wearing heavy pants,also snakeproof! 💥