NV - Antelope help

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
hey guys,
I'm asking for any help or tips you can give me on for my much anticipated antelope tag in (65,142,144). Given my time constraints, I don't post a lot of things on the forum, so I know I need to give to receive. I'm a SE Idaho hunter and taxidermist and I am willing to trade some info (hard to compare ID to NV, but it's all I've got). I've also spent a lot of time antelope hunting WY units 87,89,90,91, and 106 if you need any info on those units.

Thanks

nitis

Jun 6, 2012
I don't know much about the lay of the land down there but for me antelope hunting is all about opportunity.

Sure you could scout out a stud buck before the opener but there may be little to no opportunity.

As for my experience a few years back the good bucks were with does and the little bucks were loners. So if you see a group there stands a chance of having one stud. If you see a loner likely a small buck. No bachelor groups

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have a late rifle tag in 041/042 this year! Hoping to go scouting soon, I dont know much about NV other then driving through on the main highways.

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
That's cool. I read in your post that you had drawn that tag. I think it will be a good hunt. I put in for that same unit as my first choice (the early hunt) and obviously didn't get it. I'm excited to see how you do on your hunt. Our Idaho season starts on the 25th of Sept, and I know the rut is usually in full motion. I had a feeling I was gonna draw my ID tag, so I didn't put in for that later hunt in NV (my crystal ball was right this time). I think there will be some big bucks come out of hiding during your hunt. Every state seems to be different, so I don't know. In MT, and WY, the main rut seems to be a week or so later than ID from my experience.

I have no idea how NV antelope operate, but I'm sure if they see you first, they will run very fast. Good luck anyway!!

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I was out in 031 and a buck was already dogging a doe last weekend. The rut will usually be in full motion come the rifle we hunt. A good mature buck already had his does bunched up into about 20. Seems the bucks are getting their groups together now and from August first to yours they could be rutting. Younger bucks are starting to be loners but some are in groups. Just glass every antelope you find, some loners could be big bucks or youngsters.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I keep applying in ID but havent drawn anything except deer yet. I didnt apply this year when I found out I drew the NV tag. Cant wait to go hunting:D