NR Elk application and PP use.

sdhunters

Dec 22, 2018
Eastern South Dakota
Am I correct in my understanding of the draw and pref point usage? If I apply for a LQ unit or general elk tag and do not draw due to PP requirement, but luck out a random tag my PP's will be used due to drawing a tag in any fashion. Also, as I look at draw results all NR general tags were 1st choice draws? No chance to draw a general as 2nd choice. Thanks in advance for sharing info from those of you with knowledge of the process.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Yes, you will lose your points if you draw your 1st choice, it doesn't matter if you get it in the preference or random part of the draw. No general tags were drawn as a 2nd choice in the regular or special. Good Luck!

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I believe thats correct,,also reduced price cow/calf are a separate random draw fyi

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
So you will not draw a second choice tag for elk in any unit regardless of PP?
It's possible. Just a quick glance it looks like units 47, 97, and 125 could be drawn as a second choice. Those probably aren't popular hunts for a reason. Most likely little to no public land. (at least where the elk are) There are also several units that have cow tags you could draw as a second choice.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
but cow calf as a second choice will be at full price if you put on reg draw,,,type 4

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
It's possible. Just a quick glance it looks like units 47, 97, and 125 could be drawn as a second choice. Those probably aren't popular hunts for a reason. Most likely little to no public land. (at least where the elk are) There are also several units that have cow tags you could draw as a second choice.
I?m not thinking there are leftover tags in NR draw. Only the resident draw had leftovers I?m pretty sure for these hunts which doesn?t occur till later in April/May