North Dakota

BADbuckfever

Mar 10, 2011
Orange, CA
www.infowars.com
You dont have any info in the MRS. I don't think your state counts in the grand scheme of things. I know here in California I would also love to see some of my state's hunting info in the member's research section. Maybe my state is too big to add to the MRS. I dont know why its deleted from western states. It could be the majority amount of subscribers to Eastman's Journals are from Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Arizona. Not real sure.

BADbuckfever

Mar 10, 2011
Orange, CA
www.infowars.com
California isn't western?????

What is western then?
California:
We have the biggest farms in the world. Produce, fruit, nuts, dairy and animal farms etc...
There are many cattle ranches with "real" cowboys that ride horses and use lassos and also brand animals.
Many "western" movies were filmed in California. Your image of the "west" has been shaped in a large part by these films.
Mt. Whitney (14,505 feet) located in the Sierra Nevada range is the highest peak in the lower 48.
The Mojave Desert has the lowest point in the US located in California. Plus its a desert. Nothing says western like a Joshua tree.
You can hunt Mule Deer and Blacktail deer here. Also - Black bear, Bighorn sheep, Elk, Wild pig, Antelope, Turkeys and bigfoot. Plus various waterfowl and upland game birds as well.
PBR and Pro rodeo circuit here.
There are FFA clubs here.
Too much to continue now.

It doesn't get much more western than California.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
California isn't western?????

What is western then?
California:
We have the biggest farms in the world. Produce, fruit, nuts, dairy and animal farms etc...
There are many cattle ranches with "real" cowboys that ride horses and use lassos and also brand animals.
Many "western" movies were filmed in California. Your image of the "west" has been shaped in a large part by these films.
Mt. Whitney (14,505 feet) located in the Sierra Nevada range is the highest peak in the lower 48.
The Mojave Desert has the lowest point in the US located in California. Plus its a desert. Nothing says western like a Joshua tree.
You can hunt Mule Deer and Blacktail deer here. Also - Black bear, Bighorn sheep, Elk, Wild pig, Antelope, Turkeys and bigfoot. Plus various waterfowl and upland game birds as well.
PBR and Pro rodeo circuit here.
There are FFA clubs here.
Too much to continue now.

It doesn't get much more western than California.
I'm with ya on that BADbuckfever. Unfortunately most people look at CA for Disneyland, the beach and Hollywood. That's okay with me though. More hunting for me and you.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
ND is a good state for the archery hunter for Pronghorn and mule deer, but the herds have been hammered by the last two brutal winters and are still recovering. Its on my list as one of my back up states if I don't draw, but we need a few mild winters so the goats and deers can go forth and multiply with freezing to death. There is one bighorn tag and its pretty much impossible to draw. Better odds of hitting the powerball and buying a govenor's tag somewhere else.

Oh and California is pretty dang awesome if you can manage to stay 50 miles away from any city with more than 100k people in it! You take a lot of heat for your pink mafia in San Fran, the holywood elite in LA and the dirty hippies in San Diego. No Cal and So Cal are like 2 different countries.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
No need to list ND in the MRS as it is too barren and cold up here with no wild game to hunt and basically a bison commons area.

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
It has nothing to do with how "western" California is. It is because of the lack of good Non-Resident hunting oppurtunities. If you haven't noticed the MRS is based of off Non-Resident data.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
It has nothing to do with how "western" California is. It is because of the lack of good Non-Resident hunting oppurtunities. If you haven't noticed the MRS is based of off Non-Resident data.
You hit the nail on the head nvarcher ! We also don't have the number's to attain record book animals. You can only find Rocky Mtn. mule deer in a couple counties bordering Nv. and Or. .We have some nice bighorns taken. A lot of nice blacktail and bear taken. I just don't see the numbers to attract non res. hunters or the trophy quality. Maybe that's a good thing, don't know...?