North Dakota Hunting?

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Tentatively planning a duck/goose hunt with some buddy's to North Dakota this fall. Does anyone have any tips for going there? We've hunted WI quite a bit but never headed out west for waterfowl. Planning to hunt public land. East, West? Dates? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Luke

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
When we've hunted deer out there, I could have easily killed my limit of birds with my bow. I don't think many locals bother them. The plots books were available free most convenience stores

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Head west past Jamestown lots of good area that way. Are you planning on hunting water or fields? I would go opening weekend unless you can go at the drop of a hat for the migration.

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
Wait for 2nd weekend, 1st is always a zoo. LOTS of guys from MN, SD come for Non Res opener.

Also I would temper expectations on availability of "good" spots, especially if field hunting. Most people here now post all their stuff and lease it or only let certain people on. In ND you can hunt stuff that isn't posted though. But be warned, the last few years the new sleep in the field or show up 5 hours before sunrise crowd is very present in ND. You will have stiff competition.

If you want to have an easier time finding public access, stick by all the water. You can always hunt a slough if you can't find a field.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Wait for 2nd weekend, 1st is always a zoo. LOTS of guys from MN, SD come for Non Res opener.

Also I would temper expectations on availability of "good" spots, especially if field hunting. Most people here now post all their stuff and lease it or only let certain people on. In ND you can hunt stuff that isn't posted though. But be warned, the last few years the new sleep in the field or show up 5 hours before sunrise crowd is very present in ND. You will have stiff competition.

If you want to have an easier time finding public access, stick by all the water. You can always hunt a slough if you can't find a field.
The sleep in the field and show up 5 hours early was what it turned into with early season Pennsylvania goose hunting. I simply stopped hunting the early season. I killed a lot of geese in September but I was sick of stressing about it. I waited until deer season to start hunting waterfowl and found it to be much more enjoyable. I killed more birds in January and February hunting the rivers than most guys did in the early season anyhow.

PROS:
-Dont have to ask permission.
-Dont have to get up at 3:00AM.
-Birds decoyed better and responded to calls better.
-Easier to hide with the snow on the ground.
-Closer Shots
-Quick Limits
-little hunting pressure on the rivers

CONS:
-Cold
-Slightly more dangerous
-Cold
-Cold

Its was a win win for me. But I wasn't afraid to launch a boat when it was 10 degrees outside either...

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
PROS:
-Dont have to get up at 3:00AM.
-Birds decoyed better and responded to calls better.
Idk about these two. Crazies hunt all year and it doesn't matter what time of year in most places in ND. You will have competition for field hunting. Idk about birds decoying better either, until the migration starts you are hunting local birds that have been pounded since mid august (15 bird limits?! WTF game and fish) that are much more wary of calling and spreads.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Im guessing that we will hunt both water and fields, or I guess whatever we can access on any givin day. Im sure we wont go for the opener. We'd rather go and maybe kill less birds and feel more relaxed than be stressed out and get up early etc. Might be a dumb question but here in Wisconsin we don't have Plot Books. What are they? We have plat books, but their not free and they only tell us who owns what.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Plot books show you where all the public land is located. These are free and can be obtained at sporting good stores some gas stations. I would stray from the Devils lake area. You will find hunters in numbers there.

BobJohansen

Apr 12, 2013
Minnesota
Would agree on shying away from the Devils Lake area. The high number of hunters and difficulty of land access are common themes. You can find pockets of not as highly pressured areas in the eastern half but if I were starting a new trip I would head further west. Most land is posted but access for ducks is usually easily obtainable. You will get the response to "Shoot them all" quite a bit.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
We are planning on taking my motorhome out there with a follower truck so we are more mobile. Does ND have sort of the same rules as say WY as far as camping ability on public land? Or are we going to have to get a camp site somewhere?