NonResident Deer Hunt

Calbuck

Feb 7, 2013
Northeastern California
Looking to hunt in Wyoming this year or maybe next..I have two points for this year's draw, and looks like I might be able to draw Region H. I'm looking for general information on things like accessibility, camping situation, areas to avoid, etc. Anybody care to share their experiences in H? This could be my one and only hunt in Wyoming, as I always seem to have too many irons in the fire in other states closer to home. Any responses appreciated!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
H has quite a bit of wilderness, that's off limits unless guided or with a resident with the right paperwork. There are some great bucks there, both in and outside the wilderness, but I think it is a challenging unit to select, unless you have some prior knowledge. I've been over a good part of H near Jackson over the years. I've seen several great bucks, but very few and far between. In the areas I've been, saw more and better bucks outside the wilderness for what's it worth, but have a resident acquaintance that's taken several over 200" in the wilderness the past 3 seasons.

My sense is H has been a VG unit of late for those that have a honey hole or a good guide or tons of time to find one. I'd be watching the winter very closely before burning points there for 2017, because a die off would make it look a lot like 2008 ish, grim.

Calbuck

Feb 7, 2013
Northeastern California
Thanks Tim, that's some good info..I am a bit worried about the winter kill this year in multiple states. In the research I've done on H, as you stated there is a fair amount of wilderness, but I've read that there is also plenty of land that is not. Curious too if there are many (or any) grizzlies in there..been looking at the southeastern portion of the region.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Plenty of Grizz in the other end of H, too many IMO. Believe they range down to the S. end of the Wind River range too, near Pinedale etc. Others probably know better about that area than I do. But I'd be bear aware for sure, even if out on some of the flatter areas, especially if along good riparian habitat. They'll head there if food is lacking up hi or if pushed out of better habitat, etc. They are fairly mobile critters.

There is enough public land in H to hunt for sure. Just be careful of the boundaries for wilderness, not all are marked real well. Hope you have a good safe hunt.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Deep snow around Jackson already. The Elk Refuge closed the bison hunt early and started feeding the elk early too. There is LOTS of snow on the ground and they just got another 2-3 ft. This could shape up to be a bad year in H & others too.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I'll be flat out honest..I'm scared for this winter. This is some of the deepest snow in over 50 years for this time of year...also have had multiple weeks of -20° already...I'd pay attention to winter,unfortunately I think it could ruin what was possibly going to be a great year for 4-6 year old bucks..I've been watching a buck on the winter range that's pushing 280"...and along with him and others,they are looking pretty rough for it only being January. In terms of hunting H...yes there are great bucks taken yearly,but they usually come from locals who have ample time to scout. H just doesn't have the deer density that G does,but you can still have a good hunt,but you better be in top shape and ready to get to the top of these steep mountains to find em.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
There is deep potentially killing snow and very cold temps. further east too, like E. MT., has me very concerned too. A friend in W. ND has over 4'...