Nonres Deer/Elk Combination

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
So, a buddy of mine has the idea to hunt SE Montana (704) on a Deer/Elk General for the sole reason of there being 17,000 (did I read that right) tags available and the draw rate for that is +/- 99% (did I read that right as well). I understand the probability of shooting and elk much less seeing one in SE MT but should we try to put in for just the Deer Combo?We understand the cost difference,however, we are both wanting to shoot a muley (we don't have any high expectations either, 3pts will be in trouble) and we will be in or around Custer NF (Can not shoot elk here) if we get drawn. We both want to be able to go and hunt a muledeer in MT, what is our best option. NO PP. Thanks in advance.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
How much time do you have to dedicate to the hunt? I would apply only for the deer combo, unless I had enough time to try for elk further west after filling the deer tags. Another option would be to make an archery trip in September for elk, then a return trip in November for deer.

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
How much time do you have to dedicate to the hunt? I would apply only for the deer combo, unless I had enough time to try for elk further west after filling the deer tags. Another option would be to make an archery trip in September for elk, then a return trip in November for deer.
We are going for 9 days. The only reason we would be applying for the Elk/Deer General Combo is purely for the ease of obtaining it. IF that is the case. I read somewhere on the Montana forum where someone was unable to get a Elk/Deer Combo because they were sold out. I wish we had the vacation time for two trips but neither of us do. We hope to both tag a buck and maybe scout some areas.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I didn't draw a general deer tag last year, and I think the big game combo was close, but not at 100%. Personally, though, I think $1k+ is way too steep if you don't plan on hunting the elk portion of the tag, but everyone's priorities are different.

Last edited:

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
I didn't draw a general deer tag last year, and I think the big game combo was close, but not at 100%. Personally, though, I think $1k+ is way too steep if you don't plan on hunting the elk portion of the tag, but everyone's priorities are different.
10-4 I get it it is steep, but right now we would rather pay a little more and increase our chances than not go at all. I've read a few places that the general deer drew out, just trying to see if the Big Game Combination did the same. We took off for the last week in Oct. any advice weather wise should we get drawn? Seems similar to weather here during the same time period maybe 5-15 degrees colder.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Not sure what the deer only tag odds were last year but they were still pretty good, just not 100% like the previous several years. They will probably be worse this year with the WY price increase and the improvement of the hunting in SE MT which draws most of the NR deer pressure. We have hunted SE MT the last three years and never seen an elk. We hunt east of where you're talking though. The deer/elk tags drew out or very close in 2017 as well. There were a good number of elk only leftover.

Now that I live within an hour or so of the west side of MT I'm planning to do the deer/elk every year if I can draw it. Too bad you didn't buy a PP by 10/31/17. With one PP you would have been guaranteed the tag in 2018. You could always just put in for deer only this year and if you don't draw, you will for sure in 2019.

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
Not sure what the deer only tag odds were last year but they were still pretty good, just not 100% like the previous several years. They will probably be worse this year with the WY price increase and the improvement of the hunting in SE MT which draws most of the NR deer pressure. We have hunted SE MT the last three years and never seen an elk. We hunt east of where you're talking though. The deer/elk tags drew out or very close in 2017 as well. There were a good number of elk only leftover.

Now that I live within an hour or so of the west side of MT I'm planning to do the deer/elk every year if I can draw it. Too bad you didn't buy a PP by 10/31/17. With one PP you would have been guaranteed the tag in 2018. You could always just put in for deer only this year and if you don't draw, you will for sure in 2019.
I was thinking the same thing. I've thrown away 2 MT applications in the past two years and should've bought the points. I knew better. I just could not get anyone interested in going until this year. Thanks for advice.

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
10-4 I get it it is steep, but right now we would rather pay a little more and increase our chances than not go at all. I've read a few places that the general deer drew out, just trying to see if the Big Game Combination did the same. We took off for the last week in Oct. any advice weather wise should we get drawn? Seems similar to weather here during the same time period maybe 5-15 degrees colder.
Given any thought to buying b tags for does? Learn the area you wish to hunt a bit without the big fee's.....also, I had to grin and chuckle as you speak normal temps here in Montana.....it might be normal when you come, probably not though. We just had a weekend when actual air temps reached below -40 f, wind chills were even worse, hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
Given any thought to buying b tags for does? Learn the area you wish to hunt a bit without the big fee's.....also, I had to grin and chuckle as you speak normal temps here in Montana.....it might be normal when you come, probably not though. We just had a weekend when actual air temps reached below -40 f, wind chills were even worse, hope for the best, prepare for the worst...
Yeah... I don't have any neg 40 clothes... What do those consist of? Whale blubber and bear hide? Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I've watched a few blizzards blow in from Montana to NW WY in October on the weather channel. Never experienced one but now it does seem rather unpredictable. Thanks for the info.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
You'd be unlikely to see -40 the last week of Oct, possible, yes. 25 years of hunting MT/SD in Nov, -15, coldest, mostly SE MT. Couple years back got -8 around Forsyth in early/mid Nov. Prepare for cold weather, teens/20's, and have a plan if you get a below zero stretch. Pac boots, face mask, heavy gloves and an extra outer layer are nice if real cold. Sometimes polar weight base layer is enough too. I've rarely had to use the heavy clothes.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
There have been a few topics lately about cold weather clothes, just wanted to add that I think a scarf helps a bunch, pretty cheap, but helps to seal up the core heat areas or something. Probably not as humid as Tennessee I would guess also. Sometimes the dry cold with a little extra altitude gives people bloody noses, too. So nasal spray helps with that. In general agree with Tim's assessment, but wanted to mention a scarf, even just a silk one seems to help. Plus you can look like a cowboy.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
There have been a few topics lately about cold weather clothes, just wanted to add that I think a scarf helps a bunch, pretty cheap, but helps to seal up the core heat areas or something. Probably not as humid as Tennessee I would guess also. Sometimes the dry cold with a little extra altitude gives people bloody noses, too. So nasal spray helps with that. In general agree with Tim's assessment, but wanted to mention a scarf, even just a silk one seems to help. Plus you can look like a cowboy.
A red silk one is nearly always aboard...good catch.

RJW

Jan 2, 2013
wapiti, wy
So, a buddy of mine has the idea to hunt SE Montana (704) on a Deer/Elk General for the sole reason of there being 17,000 (did I read that right) tags available and the draw rate for that is +/- 99% (did I read that right as well). I understand the probability of shooting and elk much less seeing one in SE MT but should we try to put in for just the Deer Combo?We understand the cost difference,however, we are both wanting to shoot a muley (we don't have any high expectations either, 3pts will be in trouble) and we will be in or around Custer NF (Can not shoot elk here) if we get drawn. We both want to be able to go and hunt a muledeer in MT, what is our best option. NO PP. Thanks in advance.
sent you a message.

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
I have a couple of thick neck gaiters I use during duck season that will be making the trip. If I take a scarf to look like a cowboy I will have to grow my mustache out really long and then it just drags through my food. LoL. No offense. I am eager to experience it.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I have a couple of thick neck gaiters I use during duck season that will be making the trip. If I take a scarf to look like a cowboy I will have to grow my mustache out really long and then it just drags through my food. LoL. No offense. I am eager to experience it.
LOL, my Dad has the whole Tom Sellack in the '70's mustache, FIL has the Sam Elliot variety, mine gets to be a little Grizzly Adams when it needs a trim, so that one was pretty funny to me. Wife is a good shot and the neighbor has a backhoe, so I will leave hers alone.

Last edited:

steveokanevo

Sep 22, 2016
Tennessee
LOL, my Dad has the whole Tom Sellack in the '70's mustache, FIL has the Sam Elliot variety, mine gets to be a little Grizzly Adams when it needs a trim, so that one was pretty funny to me. Wife is a good shot and the neighbor has a backhoe, so I will leave hers alone.
Hahaha your wife and mine must be sisters!