Non-typical doesn't even explain it...

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I seen one of the coolest things today. The first picture is of 5 mule deer bucks, the second buck from the right has a hard white 2 point on his right side along with some spurred velvet growth around it, and I know the picture isn't great, but a grapefruit sized velvet mass on his left side. The other 4 bucks were all normal in velvet 2 points to small 4 points. I have never seen a buck with hard antler in July, I don't know what happened to him, but he looks cool as heck!

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Is Colorado near Chernobyl? Or Who or what castrated him?
Sure I'll go for Rocky Mtn. Oysters. But I draw the line of nawing
them off. :cool: Cool Pics.

Reactions: muleyfool

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Jumping a fence when he was a youngster and not making it and getting hung up will do it.

I've also known range riders who take care of cattle or sheep doing it if they catch one

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've seen several bucks over the last 50 years that had pretty strange antlers. I shot one and it didn't have any balls. Really fat & great eating. I've also seen them with weird antlers when the deer was previously injured.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think its dopplekolf......spelling maybe wrong.
Usually caused by nerve damage, nutrition issues and I believe high testosterone levels at a specific time of the year. If i remember right a northern college/parks and wildlife documented it in a study. Ill try and dig up some more info on it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The Utah DOW did a study before they set the cactus buck hunt on the Paunchaguant unit and they found that most of the cactus bucks on that unit had no testicles