Non-resident Meat Hunt Options

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hey guys, My wife and I are looking to take my father-in-law on a fun western hunt. He has never been out west and we are looking for a fun, dare I say "easy" meat hunt. I was hoping to go to Wyoming for pronghorn but we were unsuccessful in the draw. We will be bringing our newborn baby with us and my mother-in-law will be watching her during the days while we hunt so a hotel or cabin stay is necessary. We are just hoping for a fun way to introduce him to the west and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or knew from previous experience on something we might enjoy. I will now be looking over the leftover list for mule deer in Colorado somewhere I am familiar with. That becomes available on august 9th, But until then, Help me think of something worth doing! Thank you.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I doubt that Utah will have any cow tags available, most if not all of them go in the draw and you would need points to get one.

This late into the year about all you can hope for is the left over list but the tags are getting very slim.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
There are a lot of private land Cow elk tags that you could get at a reasonable cost I would think.

If you not willing to pay the piper you could get a leftover cow tag for muzzleloader.

What dates and weather do you plan to hunt?

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Well I have a bull elk hunt planned for Sept 13-22. We originally planned to hunt Oct 1st-3rd in Wyoming but now pretty much open to anything except I like to be home for the whitetail rut from oct 30th- nov 20th. We considered going out west to just vacation and shoot some prairie dogs but I'd really like to get him on some type of big game. Preferably a buck antelope, buck mule deer, or possibly maybe even try a black bear. I'm sure he would be willing to shoot a doe, but I think the thrill of chasing a buck will put some drive into wanting to do a western hunt again in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
At this point the choices are very limited unless you do something like buy a landowner cow tag in Colorado. That would solve your tag problems and get you access to some private as well.

A super easy fall back option is to wait until you can buy a doe tag in Kansas (I believe in January) and go hunt some does out in the Western part of the state. It's wide open and there are deer everywhere. Finding does on publicly accessible land would be easy. Some of the state parks literally have deer in the campground or not far from. Lots of walk in land available. A Kansas doe hunt is among the easiest public land hunts there is. And if you don't do your processing the meat processor in Ness City KS is the best I have ever used.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
At this point the choices are very limited unless you do something like buy a landowner cow tag in Colorado. That would solve your tag problems and get you access to some private as well.

A super easy fall back option is to wait until you can buy a doe tag in Kansas (I believe in January) and go hunt some does out in the Western part of the state. It's wide open and there are deer everywhere. Finding does on publicly accessible land would be easy. Some of the state parks literally have deer in the campground or not far from. Lots of walk in land available. A Kansas doe hunt is among the easiest public land hunts there is. And if you don't do your processing the meat processor in Ness City KS is the best I have ever used.
How do I go about buying a landowner cow tag in CO? What does something like that cost?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Not a lot of meat, but Coues in AZ is fun. Usually leftover tags available.

Western whitetails somewhere, still a few states with OTC tags.

Watch the leftover list in Colorado.

You've also always got the option of a small game license just about anywhere and a chill week out camping/hunting.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
TN,
In Colorado
1) You can go the landowner cow tag route for about 600-800 is what Ive seen.
2) Leftover list will also have cow tags on it although not as easy a hunt its doable if you know the area and or been there before.

If you want to go the landowner tag route I can get you some contact info. Shoot me a pm.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
LCS leftover Javelina tags also..Double your fun. :cool:
I don't know if I would put a javelina hunt in the category of a "meat hunt" While the meat is good you don't get enough of it to justify the cost for just meat. I also don't know if I would throw a coues deer hunt in for the first timer that wants to take relatives out for a fun time and hunt. It is a enjoyable hunt but I also wouldn't consider it a meat hunt.

For Colorado a straight land owner tag that you purchase from the landowner the cost can be what the market will dictate. It may be cheap and then again it could be out of range for most people. Also on the leftover list you can pick up a cow tag for the same price as in the draw, however if it is a private land tag you are going to have to find a landowner in that unit that will allow access to the private land where the tag is valid. For this the landowner will usually charge a trespass fee for you to access it.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
It looks to me that even the doe/fawn tags for Wyoming are picked through already. Maybe waiting on the Colorado leftover list will be a better plan for now.

Anyone here ever hunt black bear in CO?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Your bear picks will be limited to the unit and season that you have for your elk tag.

That is if there are very many bears in that unit.

But yes, I have hunted bear in Colorado

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk