Non-res points for the future

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
What preference point should I look at building for the future in Wyoming?

I know I will have 2 elk tags and a mule deer tag in Utah coming to me this year (gen archery bull with a friend, late cow hunt and a general deer) so I am not looking to hunt this year in Wyoming, but I am looking to at least antelope hunt probably in 3 years. I am interested in a better unit that would take 2 to 3 years to draw buck antelope, but debating about building some other points.

What other species should I be building points for that I can draw a quality hunt in next 5 years in Wyoming? I would be looking for a public land do it yourself style hunt? Any whitetails readily available on public land? I hunt all seasons, archery, muzzleloader (scoped custom 209 bolt) and rifle.

Thanks for any input! I cannot wait to put down a buck antelope in the future. I should draw a doe antelope in the next year or so in Utah but Utah only lets residents put in for one limited species at a time and I am working on deer then will switch to elk, so will not ever get the chance at a buck in Utah.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I'd say it's common to buy points for elk, deer and antelope. Good antelope hunts can be had on leftover tags so you don't need much for points to have a fun hunt. 2 or 3 points will for sure help to get you into a better unit. For deer, I'd say you're more likely to be hunting mulies than whitetails. I know some whitetails do get shot on public but your chance at a mule deer is much better. For elk, you can get a general tag with 0-2 points depending on if you go into the regular or special draw. The general tag is probably just as good as some units that take 5 points.

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
I'd say it's common to buy points for elk, deer and antelope. Good antelope hunts can be had on leftover tags so you don't need much for points to have a fun hunt. 2 or 3 points will for sure help to get you into a better unit. For deer, I'd say you're more likely to be hunting mulies than whitetails. I know some whitetails do get shot on public but your chance at a mule deer is much better. For elk, you can get a general tag with 0-2 points depending on if you go into the regular or special draw. The general tag is probably just as good as some units that take 5 points.
Is it worth me building 2 or 3 points for antelope or should I just wait until I am ready and a buy leftover? This will be first buck antelope and would probably plan a possible 4 to 5 day hunt with rifle (buck and probably pick up a doe tag if available). I would like to shoot a nicer buck but I may not even know the different in the field.

I probably will not put in for any other points in Wyoming. Stick with Utah for mule deer/elk and arizona and maybe Neveda for Mulies.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
If you think you might have a future desire to do a hunt, get the points. In the grand scheme of things, they aren't that expensive and it gives you options down the road.

hunt1up

Aug 23, 2011
Get a few antelope points. Sure you can very easily be successful with leftovers, but you'll typically have a limited amount of public land. Yes, you can be successful. Our group has killed plenty in limited access areas. BUT, hunting a 2 point unit with ample land is far more enjoyable. That's my opinion anyway. More time hunting, less time driving around.

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
Get a few antelope points. Sure you can very easily be successful with leftovers, but you'll typically have a limited amount of public land. Yes, you can be successful. Our group has killed plenty in limited access areas. BUT, hunting a 2 point unit with ample land is far more enjoyable. That's my opinion anyway. More time hunting, less time driving around.
thanks I think I will build some points for antelope

Dakota Kid

Sep 12, 2014
ND
As far as Antelope goes, I think it depends on what kind of a hunt you are wanting. Do you want to just shoot any goat, no points needed. If you want to shoot a big goat and not have tons of hunting pressure than you should start getting points.