non res moose hunt

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Can someone shed some light on which state might have best odds on drawing a tag, and if one state is better than another? I'm trying to line up future hunts for years down the road.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I chose Maine, New Hampshire & Wyoming. After 12 years cashed my WY points and took a small bull. Then 3 months ago, after 15 years they drew my name in NH and I harvested the bull below. However my odds were still only 1%. After 15 years my odds in Maine are about 6%.

You get the picture. I highly recommend not going my route. You can get a reasonable priced semi-guided hunt in Ontario or New Foundland. Much better option and really makes more financial sense for the time invested. I think many have become disillusioned with Maine because the applicant numbers have dropped considerably the last 5 years, I think by 30%. The politicians have been playing games there screwing long time investors. Still are with their rediculous peddling of 10 pack bonus points. Look to Canada.

These states all take time investing for down the road. Idaho has no bonus points so no need to plan ahead there. As mentioned, they do have the best draw odds but expensive as they make you buy the license first. So it's ~$150 or something for a ~15% chance.

Attachments

Last edited:

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
ANy states have land owner tags? I have been applying to Main for 10 years, haven't even payed attention to the odds, Last I checked, 200 tags for 21,000 non res apps? or so I was told. Really hate to go across the border but might have too

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
lr, They passed legislation last year in Maine that partially offsets the veteran point holder discrimination. Although they refused to stop peddling the nonresident 10 packs since they're still drunk on the money. Totally unethical. That is one reason why so many people dropped out. So don't tank your points. The new law weighs your points more the more you have. After 15 points they multiply your chances by ten. The math is not exact, but reasonably close. I have 14 points which equates to about a 6% chance. With 10 I'd estimate your chance at about 4%. Those are for bull tags. But the odds will get much better each year in the future.

For both ME & NH I never expected to draw. I considered it just a bonus if I did. If I seriously wanted to moose hunt I definitely would not wait on a northeast tag! Even with my New Hampshire tag, it was not a great hunt nor good odds for a mature bull, about 10%. I had to work hard and get extremely lucky to take a 53" bull.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Landowner tags in UT are way expensive.

My father wants a moose, so I've looked into this a bit and came to the same conclusions Zim offered up - we will either go east to Newfoundland or north to Alberta or Ontario. Guided hunts run $4k-$6k.

There is a good amount of literature on DIY float hunts for moose in AK also. You and 2 or 3 guys get a float plane to drop you off, then you float out for a week, there are outfitters set up to supply all the gear, kind of like a floating drop camp.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
Unless you have done a DIY float hunt for moose, there is no way to properly describe the amount of work involved. You will spend nearly half of each day breaking camp, packing rafts, setting up camp, etc. And very little hunting is actually done while you are floating. It is rare to even see over the bank of the river from the raft.
It is a grand adventure, but not the most productive moose hunting technique, and very labor intensive.
llp