NM GMU 4

midwestoutwest

Sep 30, 2020
Headed out to GMU 4 (Chama area) for a rifle combo hunt elk and muley combo 3rd week of October. Curious if anyone has hunted this area in the past and what the experience was like? Sounds like good elk numbers but typically topping out at 300" and potential for bigger mulies. Hunting with Milligan Brand...Any tips or feedback appreciated!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I don't have any direct input, but NM has lots of elk. You'll have fun.
Your outfitter should be able to answer many of these questions, but it's always nice to get others' perspective like you are doing.
Hoping you did some digging before booking as well....
Good luck and come back and share your hunt story- don't be a 1 post wonder. :cool:

Reactions: midwestoutwest

midwestoutwest

Sep 30, 2020
Thanks! Will definitely report back following the hunt. We did look into reviews, recommendations, etc., before booking. Most were very positive but there are always one or two that had a bad experience... We've had several phone calls with the outfitter and seems like a solid operation. Appreciate the feedback and would be great to hear if anyone has hunted northern NM for elk or muley...

Reactions: Bonecollector

Hymer

Sep 8, 2014
Oklahoma
I have hunted unit 4 for elk and mule deer. Lots of elk and quite a few mule deer. There are big ones , but they are more an exception than the norm. Just my opinion. Pretty fun and easy hunting as far as terrain for the most part. It’s still hunting and can be tough depending on conditions. We hunt with Trifecta Outdoors and always have a good time. And usually successful.

Reactions: midwestoutwest

midwestoutwest

Sep 30, 2020
Thanks Hymer. Sounds consistent with what I've heard from others and from the outfitter. They take a few bulls over 300" each year but lots of opportunities on smaller mature 5x5 and 6x6. Based on what I've heard from others there are some big mule deer in the unit. Appreciate the feedback and hope your season is going well.

Reactions: Hymer

midwestoutwest

Sep 30, 2020
Successful hunt! Outfitter was great and the area was beautiful. Saw lots of smaller bulls throughout the week and was lucky to have the opportunity to take a nice 6x6 and a nice 4x4 muley. Thanks for the feedback on the area Hymer! Will definitely plan to head back sometime in the next few years. Hope everyone's seasons are going well.

Attachments