NM 58 antelope

Davidgg

Jul 29, 2022
Hey everyone,

My fiance and I drew rifle tags for 58 antelope in August. I am wondering if anyone has some recommendations on what part of the unit would be the best to focus our efforts in.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I would concentrate on the area ne of Clayton on state land or the grasslands there. Rabbit ears Mt and the area south of Clayton lake state park has plenty as well. I wish I could draw now that it’s public land tag. U will have awesome hunt. Good luck.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
My daughter has a tag for the same unit in two weeks. I’m pretty familiar with the unit, plenty of public land with Antelope, many of the public parcels are only one section and walk in only. Should still be a great hunt.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
That is a unit I put in for as well good luck. You should have a great hunt. I have driven through the area and saw lots of antelope on public ground. I don't know a lot other than It hits all the check marks for a great DYI antelope hunt on public. One day if luck I may get to draw that tag.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Camping is very limited in the unit. There are a few options on the Kiowa ng but if u need a hotel then u should stay at the holiday motel on the nw edge of Clayton. Great hometown folks run it and u will be greeted by a towel elephant on ur bed. Only drawback is in the case ur hunting the dry cimmaron area it’s over 50 miles from nearest hotel and not the greatest roads.

okie archer

Feb 5, 2015
Coweta, Oklahoma
Looks like we may never know how the op hunt went so I will post how my hunt went in same unit last year. I hunted same unit on private land the two previous years. I decided since I had been there twice already and was getting a feel for the area I didn't want to spend the money again for private land hunt. I applied and drew the first time I ever put in for an antelope tag in New Mexico. I have since discovered that the odds were 2% for that tag. I wanted a 80incher but made a clean 433 yard shot on this buck when he stood up from his bed. I scored him at 76 5/8". Made me realize that a 80" buck is huge imo. We scouted for two days before and drove approximately 500 miles looking. Also had a few miles of boot leather scouting. I don't think we ever even saw a 80" goat. Had a great hunt that was fun.Screenshot_20230409-212241.pngScreenshot_20230409-212225.png

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
That is a fine buck. Luck of the draw. I have high hopes for a few more days. I figured long shots would be normal for this unit. Thanks for the photos. Takes a combination of mass and length in all areas to cross that 80" mark. I feel blessed as my first buck was with in an inch of 80. I had no clue, but was very happy with it.

Reactions: okie archer