NM 16 elk tag

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Check out weatherundergound.com as it provides a lot of great data that you are looking for.
Good luck and post up a little more often. We're a nice bunch. ;-)
Love to hear about your hunt and see some pictures!

Reactions: archeranthony

fullcurl0

Mar 12, 2011
Out West
Looking like a guy has to Isolate when arriving in NM for 14 days before heading out hunting... thats gonna make it tough for sure.

fullcurl0

Mar 12, 2011
Out West
Thats great to hear. All setup and pumped to get there and see that beautiful Elk country! Any tips or must see hideyholes where the bulls are so thick they cant turn to scratch their backsides without poking another bull in the eye!

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Which hunt did you draw? I'll be headed in to 16B for the last rifle hunt. Super pumped to be hunting the Gila this year. I've heard that some good ones made it through the archery season.

fullcurl0

Mar 12, 2011
Out West
Had a great hunt, beautiful country, but elk sightings were fairly low. Drought had the elk in deep heavy timber, water was limited and they were hitting it at night. The best bull I saw, after scouting and hunting was about a 330" bull that I passed on waiting for a dream bull, and I'm ok with that. Then got dumped on with a good dose of snow up high near the end of the hunt. Thought that would get them out of the timber, and it did to some degree. If the hunt was a few days longer things would have improved. Saw quite a few 310, 320 bulls, just not what I was looking for. Hunted hard and wore out lots of boot leather. The Gila is a special place.