Nightforce SHV or Vortex PST gen ii

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I own a PST II 3-15x44 and while I've not compared it to the SHV I have compared several Vortex products to their Nightforce equivalents.

I think that the biggest benefit to buying a Nightforce is their sturdy construction and crisp adjustments, each click of the knobs feels more solid and positive than most Vortex models. As for lenses, there isn't really that much difference between the two brands.

I picked the PST because I like First Focal plane scopes and the zero stop feature. While the adjustments don't seem as solid as a Nightforce they are very good. I also like the lighted reticle, it helps place the reticle better under low light conditions.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
It's not a brand that was mentioned but I went with a Huskemaw in that price range. I like a covered windage and elevation knob on most of my rifles. I can always unscrew a cap to dial elevation but that eliminates the possibility it gets accidentally turned. I also like their reticle better than the NF SHV reticle. I haven't looked through the ones you mentioned. The Huskemaw glass isn't as good as my Swaro Z5 or Leupold VX-6 but it is better than my older Vortex Viper. I have not been in a situation where it would cost me a shot I could have made with the Swaro. The scope has dialed perfect and held zero which was my primary requirement for the rifle it went on.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I have experience with both scopes. The Nightforce is a lot better scope.
While I haven't used the Nightforce SHV but I find it rather hard to believe that it's a LOT better scope, maybe there are some issues that are nicer, or maybe it simply works better for you but to make a general statement about it being so much better seems a little off to me. Optics are one of those things that are pretty subjective, your eyes are unique and that makes a big difference when you attempt to compare them.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks guys. Ended up getting the vortex gen ii. So far I like it. It’s hard to compare all these scopes inside a store. Wish they something better where a guy could compare them outside and at distances.
But I will say this. The PST gen ii is a big step up from the HST all the way around