Newest Member and looking for information on Antelope

Jerry Kaping

Jun 21, 2019
Hello all,

My Name is Jerry, I am an avid hunter and Pastor in Central Oregon. I have been fortunate to hunt many species of animals with a good deal of success. I just joined this group for two reasons. 1. It is always great to share advice, stories, and experience with the hunting community. 2. I am looking for advice.

Me and 4 of my buddies were fortunate to draw rifle antelope tags for unit 16. Although I know this isn't a trophy unit, it holds plenty of speed goats, so I am told. I am wondering if anyone knows good access points to this unit, as well, if anyone knows if there is a rancher or two who would be open to trespass/access fees for our party to hunt on their land or access their land to get deep into the unit?

Please don't hesitate to give us any information you can. We have 5 Antelope tags as well as 1 doe/fawn tag as well.

Thank you so much and I am glad to be on this forum.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Welcome Jerry. There are about 8 access points in total, and none of them are a secret.
Burning boot leather with be your best bet.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I havent hunted that unit, but have the one directly to the South. Get yourself a Wyoming Gazeteer and a map for unit 16 from a source like mytopo.com. Get to know what roads are public. Not all roads are public. Highlight those on the map. Also, get your self the OnX map for your phone or GPS. This will be extremely important to know if the antelope is on public or private. From there it will greatly reduce the public lands you can directly access. In this type of unit, dont be afraid to get out of sight from the road. Most guys are just going to drive the road. We found antelope but had to get off the road. Sometimes just 50yds so long as you were out if sight from the vehicles.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lots of posts all over this forum-and others-on that unit. "Seek and ye shall find"

I assume you mean WY 16. The powder river breaks on the eastern portion are more rugged than they may at first seem from a map or road: canyons and mini-mtns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk