Newbie questions

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Ok I guess we can consider this some newbie high country questions. I plan to go this fall out to WY to do some scouting for next year’s deer hunt. I have been up in the high country but never stayed. I plan to live off my back for 5 days. So here are some questions I have come up with.

1. I know weather can be unpredictable, but what should I expect in the western mountains of WY the first week in Sept?
2. How much time should I spend in an area trying to locate deer before moving off to next drainage?
3. How much time should I spend mid-day glassing?
4. Was thinking about trying to do some coyote hunting (not sure if any will be up there?) But since I will be close to wilderness area, is it not wise because of the bear and wolves?
5. Anything up I will need to worry about besides predators? (Snakes that kind of thing?)

I’m sure I will come up with some more questions but that is what comes to mind. I have read enough on here that I have the meal thing figured out, or at least I think I do.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
Be prepared for snow, but expect nice days and cool to freezing nights. I get snowed on in early Sept in Idaho only about 1 out of 10 years, but if it comes, you want to be able to stay dry and keep warm.

If you are seeing sign in an area stay a couple days to locate deer. If the country is pretty wide open and you feel you covered it well for a few hours, then move over a ridge. I would glass all the time if I were scouting. Deer are most active early and late, but often move to water or feed for a short time mid day or to relocate their bed out of the sun and you might just find one mid day. Find high vantage points from which to glass alot of country. Perhaps a ridge between two drainages. Glass in the shadows as deer will get up there first in the evening. I really like to rest and nap mid day, but will glass between resting times.

Coyotes are everywhere, but calling on a predator call will put all deer in the area on high alert. If you glass, you likely will see coyotes on the move if they are around. Pick up a wolf tag if available for your area - you never know it may come in handy.

Bears - and the Grizzly variety would be my biggest concern. You need to have some spray, a pistol, and then take care of your food and camp to not encourage an encounter. Sleep with one eye open.

Good luck, the west is big country and beautiful.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Thanks, I do plan on having a pistol and spray with me.

You make a good point about deer knowing location when calling. I was thinking about calling before I moved locations.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
I wouldn't have found deer in my area if I hadn't seen them before sun up. In fact, it was a ghost mountain after sunrise.

I did find some deer laying in the shade during day.

I think bucks like laying in spots their horns can get some sun or someplace they won't hit them when velvet is still alive. I find tons of deer beds behind single pines or pine bushes on the uphill side. Remember that each little grove of shrub pine (my brother calls them Jack pine) is thicker than it looks from the spotter. Multiple bucks can stay concealed in small groves

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
Elk and deer season will be open in September so you will encounter outfitters and hunters along the way. Great time to be in the back country with the changing seasons, elk bugling, etc. Practice bear awareness. Grizzlies are on the move loading up on chow before hibernation. I wouldn't worry too much about the wolves....just shoot everyone you see.

RockyMtnGuy

Jul 27, 2015
I hunted the ID/WY border last year. When I scouted in August, it rained so much I had to chain up because I got stuck and later because I was sliding all over the place. I also had lots of issues with fog. In August! When I went back in late October, it was warm and crunchy dry. Go figure.