Newb from Iowa looking to plan my first Western Hunt

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Just getting started here. Heard about Eastman's through Archery Talk Forums and signed up. Same username there. I also subscribed to the Eastman's magazine.

I just started bowhunting last year in IA and killed my first Whitetail Buck this year. Been Rifle Deer hunting in Wisconsin many years off/on and Muzzy hunting in Iowa the last few years also. Several successes, several fails :cool:

Started a thread here about starting to plan my Western Elk hunt in Montana:
http://forum.eastmans.com/showthread.php/12392-Newb-Help-Points-Zone-in-Wyoming-Getting-Started-help!

A Western Elk hunt is on my bucket list, but I don't want to wait until I'm too old to do it! Want to go in the next few years for starters. I'm in my early 40s and am not getting any younger. Need to ramp up my exercise regimen and loose some pounds. I'm 6'4" 270lbs now but very good at hiking long distances (got all that stored energy!). I do a LOT of bicycling in the spring and summer on hills Need to spend more time hoofing in the fall and winters with a pack and work thru some of my sports injuries (strained calf, shoulder). Might need to give up Basketball!

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Welcome to the forum.

Might as well get started losing that weight now. It only gets harder. I'm 61 and lost 18 pounds this year, trying to match that next year. It's at least 2-3 times as hard at 60 as it is at 40.
Your right about the loosing weight now. Hardest part is eating healthy, I'm good about the exercise and workouts.

I typically loose 10-20 lbs each spring but put it back on by fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hoshour

Veteran member
Your right about the loosing weight now. Hardest part is eating healthy, I'm good about the exercise and workouts.

I typically loose 10-20 lbs each spring but put it back on by fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm exactly the same way but I don't put it back on by season. I eat way too much sugar and carbs if I'm stressed or not sleeping well, which is a big problem for me. The last three years I can't seem to buy a good night's sleep. Sleep doc has no answers.

I read a study that showed that if you take people and don't let them sleep more than 5 hours a night they crave carbs and average about 400 calories a day more than they do when they're well rested, why I'm not sure. That will gain you almost a pound a week.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
I'm exactly the same way but I don't put it back on by season. I eat way too much sugar and carbs if I'm stressed or not sleeping well, which is a big problem for me. The last three years I can't seem to buy a good night's sleep. Sleep doc has no answers.

I read a study that showed that if you take people and don't let them sleep more than 5 hours a night they crave carbs and average about 400 calories a day more than they do when they're well rested, why I'm not sure. That will gain you almost a pound a week.
Yeah, I've also found carbs are the devil. Hard giving up beer.... I don't even drink much beer but it all goes right to my waist. My sleep is good however, I feel for you man.

I'm starting the weight loss earlier this year- NOW. My wife is actually pretty good about eating right and I just need to eat more of her rabbit food than add back in some good protein, freezer is full of that btw :)

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain. I'm trying to set up my cardio myself.
I'm lucky that where i work they have a nice gym with Cardio equipment and a basketball court. I take advantage of it 3-4 times a week. In the Spring/Summer as I mentioned I bike to work 12 miles roundtrip 3x per week. This includes a big mile-long hill. I do longer rides on the weekends too. I do less weightlifting as I used to as I find I cannot lose weight when weightlifting. I'm big and strong enough, so I just need to maintain strength.

hoshour

Veteran member
You're right, you're doing well on exercise.

On the eating, count your calories for a while and figure out what level of caloric intake equals stable weight. Then, reduce that by 500 calories a day and spend it however you want, just like a household budget. You should lose a pound a week on average.

If you stick to it, you'll naturally gravitate away from the calorie bombs and toward better food. If you can do that for a month you'll start to lose your cravings for starch, sugar and salt and prefer stuff from the produce and meat aisles.

Another idea is to avoid eating things in bags, boxes, jars or cans. In other words, stay away from the center aisles at the grocery store. You can only do that so much, but to the extent you switch from packaged food to fresh you'll improve your health.

Also, look up the glycemic index on the foods you eat and stay away from those with high numbers. For example, most people don't realize that potatoes spike your sugar more than the simple sugars found in fruits.

Last edited:

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
You're right, you're doing well on exercise.

On the eating, count your calories for a while and figure out what level of caloric intake equals stable weight. Then, reduce that by 500 calories a day and spend it however you want, just like a household budget. You should lose a pound a week on average.

If you stick to it, you'll naturally gravitate away from the calorie bombs and toward better food. If you can do that for a month you'll start to lose your cravings for starch, sugar and salt and prefer stuff from the produce and meat aisles.

Another idea is to avoid eating things in bags, boxes, jars or cans. In other words, stay away from the center aisles at the grocery store. You can only do that so much, but to the extent you switch from packaged food to fresh you'll improve your health.

Also, look up the glycemic index on the foods you eat and stay away from those with high numbers. For example, most people don't realize that potatoes spike your sugar more than the simple sugars found in fruits.
Spot on good advice. I read a book on Paleo and learned a lot. Very hard to avoid the processed, starchy and sugary stuff when on the run with the kids all the time! Trying hard. I have gave up Soda and Diet Soda (that was easy actually) but still love me some beer.

Went to the grocery store today and did the "stay away from the center isles" thing.

Last edited: