New Wildfire in Colorado

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Well, it had to happen. There is another wildfire here in Colorado off of Hwy 131 north of I-70.

It is burning in unit 36. Campers and hunters are being evacuated and while they say that it is only 100 acres this morning it won't take very much for it to grow. They are lucky in that there is still a lot of air support that they can call in from Grand Junction 100 miles to the west to help contain this fire. While the cause is not known at this time it is most likely human caused since we have had blue skies for the last little while.

• Sad
Reactions: dirtclod Az.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With the quick response the fire is now 75% contained, just remember that contained doesn't mean out it just means that they have 75% of encircled with hopes of being able to control it from getting any bigger..

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I just got back from Pawnee, sighting in for Rifle 1. For those not in CO that's about 90 minutes North of Denver, far east of blazes like the one above. It's normally pretty brutal - not a tree around, so zero shade and usually hot and dry. It was so overcast we barely saw the sun. The smoke was so heavy from fires far to the West that you could barely see farm houses and barns a mile away - the sightlines there are usually miles long. This may or may not be "the worst year ever" but it's really bad.

I feel like all of 2020 was basically scooping up every dead roadkill skunk, putting them in a dumpster, and setting fire to it.

Stay safe folks, and good luck on your hunts.