New to the forum, hunting D7 and D8

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I'm new on the forum, just found it recently. I grew up in Michigan and hunted there when I was a kid. I've been wanting to get out again for years and finally got the California safety course done, so this will be my first hunt here.

I got deer tags for D7 and D8, I'll be rifle hunting and looking for Mule Deer. I'm going out for 9 days over the Columbus Day week, my plan is to is go into Sierra NF up by Porterville, then move south and into Sequoia NF and out through Kennedy Meadows.

Oh, and I'll be solo hunting.

I've been wood cutting in the area around Troy Meadows and Blackrock ranger station, but that's it.

I'm going to set up camp at my truck and then hike out for the day at each location, maybe overnight in the field if a place looks promising.

The main thing I'm concerned about my is truck and gear that stays back. Anybody have problems with vehicles or gear being stolen or damaged while they're out in the field?

Also, I'm planning to check in with the ranger stations along the way, let them know I'll be there and how long, etc. I'm looking into getting (haven't decided if I'm going to buy or rent) a personal locator beacon. Any other suggestions?

Thanks and good hunting.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I have not hunted that area, but have not encountered any vandalism, or theft where we have hunted. Possibly, the fact that the guy who's truck you are vandalizing, or who's gear you are stealing, may be looking at you through a high powered rifle scope is something of a deterrent. Get the PLB. You can buy a SPOT for a decent price, and if you do not have Verizon or Sprint, cell phone service is pretty iffy in that area. USFS has some good maps of the wilderness areas.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I've not had any problem with car/truck break ins but I'm sure it happens but it can happen just about anywhere. I don't keep a lot of gear in my truck/car though or I hide it or cover it up. My thought is if it's something they don't see out in the open worth taking someone is less likely to take the time to break in to get it. The only thing I'll have is a cooler while away out hunting anyways.

Something like a Spot is good to have like Sawfish mentions especially if your out and about off trail setting up camp and hunting solo. Not sure if you can rent a SPOT but you could rent a Sat phone if interested as a possible rental option at one of the Sat phone rental sites.

http://www.mobal.com/satellite-phone-rental/

I've backpacked out of Emigrant wilderness more than a few times out of Kennedy meadows. More so just to fish but they have a few nice buck mounts hanging up in the new cafe there next to the pack station that I saw last year. Best of luck to you JMSZ. That is a awesome wilderness area with some cool history.

I'm going to try Ansel Adams Wilderness this year in D7 to try and learn someplace new and put in several trips into it. I'm going to try the trailhead out of Mammoth Lakes or Devils Postpile trailhead. The road was blown out early summer and I'm just getting to be able to get out. My daughter is up in college at Hume Lake, North of D8 for a couple years and it will be a good side trip for me to visit and loop there on the way back too.

Welcome to the forum JMSZ.

Moost at a420

Aug 19, 2018
Still hunting D8 or D7 th is year

I'm new on the forum, just found it recently. I grew up in Michigan and hunted there when I was a kid. I've been wanting to get out again for years and finally got the California safety course done, so this will be my first hunt here.

I got deer tags for D7 and D8, I'll be rifle hunting and looking for Mule Deer. I'm going out for 9 days over the Columbus Day week, my plan is to is go into Sierra NF up by Porterville, then move south and into Sequoia NF and out through Kennedy Meadows.

Oh, and I'll be solo hunting.

I've been wood cutting in the area around Troy Meadows and Blackrock ranger station, but that's it.

I'm going to set up camp at my truck and then hike out for the day at each location, maybe overnight in the field if a place looks promising.

The main thing I'm concerned about my is truck and gear that stays back. Anybody have problems with vehicles or gear being stolen or damaged while they're out in the field?

Also, I'm planning to check in with the ranger stations along the way, let them know I'll be there and how long, etc. I'm looking into getting (haven't decided if I'm going to buy or rent) a personal locator beacon. Any other suggestions?

Thanks and good hunting.
I just got back from d8 out of Buck rock. Looking for a partner to go out with. I know D8 and this will be my first year hunting D7 that's if I make a trip out there. I have my "AO" archery olny tag so I can hunt all A,B, and D Zones. Where at in Porterville you go to. That's something I would like to make a trip out to.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I hunt a lot solo and now carry a DeLorme (now Garmin) Inreach. I like it because you can text with it to keep in touch with the family. Don't forget about bears when you leave camp/ truck. Keep all food locked in side and out of site. Good luck.