new Savage rifles

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I just got an email yesterday from Savage about the launch of their new Backcountry Xtreme rifle series they are debuting today. They seem to keep pumping out new rifle models and making functional improvements. I had never shot a Savage before working here at Eastmans'. I gotta admit, they are very good shooters and make life at the range and in the field pretty darn easy.

Looks like they are going to be unveiling the different models on social media over the coming days/weeks. Hopefully we'll get some of these in soon for a review on them in EHJ and on YouTube...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I own one and for the price vs quality it's tough to beat.
I put them in the same category as Vortex Optics.
Perhaps not the best, but usually very good 'bang for the buck'.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
.308, .6.5 Creedmore & .300 wssm

The only commonality is that they all are short length so they can use the short action, saving weight.
A few years ago I went through a number of rifle manufacturers and looked at the weight difference between their long and short action rifles.

Most weighed the same with a few short action coming in only a once or two lighter than their long action twin

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I took a bull this past year with a Savage Hunter XP in 7mm-08 rem and couldn't be happier with it. It's several POUNDS lighter than my 30-06 Browning which both made carrying it and the eventual off-hand shot (I had 3 seconds to react, no time to set up a tripod) a totally different story.

The only thing I'm upset about is this post, to be honest. Darn it, now I have 1-2 more rifles I want to buy...

Reactions: ScottR

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I took a bull this past year with a Savage Hunter XP in 7mm-08 rem and couldn't be happier with it. It's several POUNDS lighter than my 30-06 Browning which both made carrying it and the eventual off-hand shot (I had 3 seconds to react, no time to set up a tripod) a totally different story.

The only thing I'm upset about is this post, to be honest. Darn it, now I have 1-2 more rifles I want to buy...
Lol! I hear ya. About the time I think I have everything setup and dialed in with my gear, newer toys come out. It blows my mind some of the cool products and technology we have at our fingertips, even compared to just 20 years ago.

We laugh at ourselves at the office how we complain about some piece of gear being an ounce or two too heavy, and then remember Gordon Eastman's Bolex camera and wooden tripod combo he toted around weighed something like 88 pounds!!!!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Great! Now I will need a new rifle from Savage. That makes 6 I think.
Is there a help group should be a member of?