New rifle for Wyomin goat

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
I have decided to cash in my antelope points. Even though I wont know until June if I drew a tag I bought a new rifle/scope and rangefinder. I tried to tell the wife my current 300 wsm would not work for a antelope hunt, and she called BS. But still allowed me a new rifle for the tag I hope to draw. I decided on a Howa 25-06 topped with a vx3i 3.5-10x40 with the boone and crocket reticle. I also purchased a new sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder. The hotel has been secured, and maps bought. Quite a bit of time on the phone with warden and bio. not to mention a land owner or 2. I sure hope I draw a tag. I also am trying to secure a doe muley tag or 2. Any info on 83 would be great, if not I'm sure that the leg work I have been doing and will continue to do once a tag is drawn will work great.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Looks like a very nice rifle choice and optics. (like we need a reason to get a new rifle). Sig appears to be producing some of the top range finders as well. I'd say you're all set.
Sorry, I don't have any info on unit 83.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Well your wife was right but you got a new rifle out of the deal anyway, sweet!

Good luck on the tags.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The .25-06 is a fine rifle and it will reach out and touch those lopes. When I purchased mine I thought about getting it reamed out to the AI but have decided to keep it as is. I have also thought about going with the .257 Weatherby just to handle the heaver bullets but figure that mine will stay with the deer and antelope size animals and if I need something larger I'll pull out the .340 Weatherby.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Great caliber choice. I have shot a 25-06 since the 60's and love it. I also have a .257 Wby that is a safe queen. Planning on giving it to my son. I just like the 25-06 better! Good luck in the draw.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
25-06 is a great cartridge and the rifle you selected is sound. The scope choice is also top notch! I have a 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle on a 280 AI I had built and love that scope. I don't know anything about the range finder but have heard good things about them. I hope you draw and get a chance to go. Antelope are a kick in the pants to stalk and are also wonderful eating.

Your 25-06 would really work well with a lot of different bullets. I'm pretty partial to Nosler and their 100, 115, or 120 gr. Partition would work great as would the 110 gr. Accubond. No flies on the 100 gr. E-tip either. That is one great bullet as proven by how it has worked in my son's 6mm Remington using the 90 gr. version there.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Will be searching for the right factory bullet, since I don't reload (yet). I put a cheap box of hornady through it to break it in like Howa said to. I also bought a box of 117 gr. sierra bt, and some 120 gr. fusion (my tikka 300 wsm loves fusion) that I have yet to put through it. I will get a box of 115 gr nosler partitions also. Hopefully 1 of the 3 will shoot well out of it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I reload for mine(and have for 50 years) and all I use is the Sierra 117 bt Game King. Still shoots 1/2 min groups and the bullet is perfect for antelope and deer.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Will be searching for the right factory bullet, since I don't reload (yet). I put a cheap box of hornady through it to break it in like Howa said to. I also bought a box of 117 gr. sierra bt, and some 120 gr. fusion (my tikka 300 wsm loves fusion) that I have yet to put through it. I will get a box of 115 gr nosler partitions also. Hopefully 1 of the 3 will shoot well out of it.
Those bullets have all worked well for me in 25 caliber. I've also had great results with the Hornady 117 gr. Interlock.

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
Can't go wrong with the hornady 120 gr hp or the 117g version. Used them a lot in my Roberts for deer and antelope and they never failed me.

I hunted 83 once in the Aug season for doe WT deer and doe antelope. I did see some nice bucks there but we were restricted to hunting close to the irrigated fields. there should be some good ones on the BLM.

Good luck in the draw.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I would strongly look to the 100gr TSX or TTSX bullet.
possibly the 110gr Accubond, but really I'd rather have the 100gr TSX.

It's pretty much the go to for the .257wby, so it'll do the job from the .25-06!

and unless you're planning to shoot past 500-600yds, the advantage of the 110/117 is negligible.

25-06 is a great cartridge and the rifle you selected is sound. The scope choice is also top notch! I have a 4.5-14x40mm with the B&C reticle on a 280 AI I had built and love that scope. I don't know anything about the range finder but have heard good things about them. I hope you draw and get a chance to go. Antelope are a kick in the pants to stalk and are also wonderful eating.

Your 25-06 would really work well with a lot of different bullets. I'm pretty partial to Nosler and their 100, 115, or 120 gr. Partition would work great as would the 110 gr. Accubond. No flies on the 100 gr. E-tip either. That is one great bullet as proven by how it has worked in my son's 6mm Remington using the 90 gr. version there.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I had a 25-06 built a few years back. It seems to shoot really well with a variety of factory ammo but none are particularly fast from my barrel. My rifle has a #4 contour Montana barrel 24" in length. I think it was a 1 in 10 twist but would have to ask the gunsmith to be sure. Anyway here is what shot best that I chronographed and the speeds I got you can use in your decision. These two offerings both gave 2 consecutive 3 shot groups of .5" so I chronographed them. I had had a few 25-06 rifles over the years when I wasn't handloading so I had a lot of partial boxes of ammo around to try.

Federal Premium 100gr Nosler ballistic tip 3080fps (makes a mess of a coyote if he isn't perfectly broadside)
Barnes Vor TX 100gr Tipped TSX 3007fps (drops coyotes instantly but very little pelt damage, punches through with small exit)

I also handloaded the Barnes 80gr TTSX but my barrel did not like them with several recipes and I did not chronograph them. My barrel also did not like any of the Hornady factory Superformance loads, 100gr Core-Lokt, Federal Premium 85gr Ballistic tips, Pendleton ammo 110gr Accubond, or Privi Partisan 90gr HP. Initial groups were not under 1" so I did not pursue any of these.

It did like a handload with the 100gr Swift Sirocco II over 54.5gr of H4831SC with an average velocity of 3187fps. This bullet took several coyotes with good controlled expansion and would be my choice if I decide to handload all the time for the rifle. I have not tried it yet on deer, the days I took it during antlerless season I never got a shot. It performed like the Barnes load on a couple coyotes.

I am currently experimenting with the new factory Hornady Precision ammo with the 110gr ELD-X. So far all it's got is a coyote but it put a small entrance and exit in him at 300yds. The rifle shoots it the best of anything I've tried so if it proves tough enough I will likely stick with it and not handload. I have not yet had the chance to chronograph it but hope to soon. With the way it's shooting and the high BC if the terminal performance and velocity are good I don't see a reason to spend time hand loading for this rifle, I don't think I can improve the accuracy and I spend a ton of time hand loading for the bigger guns already. I've shot 4 cold barrel 3 shot groups with this ammo and three of them were ragged holes. The fourth was barely over .5".

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Like I said I only shoot Sierra 117 gr bt bullets. I also use 4831sc, I think I load 57 grains and it chronos @ 3250 fps. I prefer the heavier bullets. I also had Leupold make up a Ballistic Turret for my 4.4 x 14 VXIII.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
As soon as our spring salmon season is over in a few weeks, I will get out and shoot and see which one she likes.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Well, a long story short is a buddy gave me a few different reloads to try and my Howa really liked the 115 gr nosler ballistic silvertip. He worked up a load that is shooting less than a 1/4 @100. It didn't really like any of the factory loads I shot.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Well, a long story short is a buddy gave me a few different reloads to try and my Howa really liked the 115 gr nosler ballistic silvertip. He worked up a load that is shooting less than a 1/4 @100. It didn't really like any of the factory loads I shot.
My sons 25-06 loved that same load. He took everything up to and including cow elk with great results. At 80 yards that bullet exited a big cow on a perfect broadside shot, that surprised me a bit.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
Well, other than shooting the wrong goat, the trip was a huge success. Turns out that critters DO NOT like the 25-06. 1 antelope buck and 2 muley doe's went a total of about 3 yds. No surprise with pass throughs on all 3, but was pleasantly surprised at the lack of bloodshot. I didn't lose 3 lbs. of meat (all 3 critters combined) due to bloodshot or anything else. Very happy with my new critter getter.