New regs are available

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
I haven't received the book yet, but I just watched a you tube video that came out yesterday about the new regulations. It mentions having a secondary draw after the primary draw and before the leftovers are available. It says that you will not use preference points in the secondary draw. So is the secondary going to be just a completely random draw? Good luck to everyone applying this year.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
The 2020 Big Game PDF is up if you want to download it:

I knew about the season date structure changes coming, but I hadn't heard they were ditching the Leftover Draw and doing a straight up Secondary Draw that anybody can enter. (With the Leftover you used to have to enter the main draw and lose before the leftover applied to you. Now you can enter both, or just the Secondary, your choice.)

Sometimes I think they just mess with this stuff to throw off people who think they finally have the system figured out and understand it.

Reactions: Stevo

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I glanced through it today and skimmed over the new rules.

The secondary draw will be interesting but not much different than the old one except that anyone can enter it. But why would you skip the first draw even if just for a point just to put in for the second draw?

Also for us old farts there is now a combo small game/fishing license available. That is good for 13 months instead of 12 which will help during the application period.

You'll also have to pay attention to the new hunt numbers when you put in but I am sure that the application will bounce if something is wrong

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I did make a mistake in my first post. Where I said that the hunt numbers have changed I was wrong. They now have a multi season deer tag for certain units that you can apply for which uses different numbers for that hunt

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana

The secondary draw will be interesting but not much different than the old one except that anyone can enter it. But why would you skip the first draw even if just for a point just to put in for the second draw?

Also for us old farts there is now a combo small game/fishing license available. That is good for 13 months instead of 12 which will help during the application period.

You'll also have to pay attention to the new hunt numbers when you put in but I am sure that the application will bounce if something is wrong
I think a lot of B tags will go in the secondary draw. Before, you could only participate if you failed to draw a tag. Now, you can get up to two tags per species through the draw process.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011

DOES that mean it will be like utah where you can get by ever other year

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Got the 2020 regs in the mail today, surprised to see they’re opening up doe tags in the Gunnison basin already (Except unit 54). Deer numbers still seemed way off when I was up there last summer and during first rifle elk season. Most of the locals I spoke to seemed to think deer #’s are still not recovered from ‘16-‘17, I wonder if they lowered the population objective?