New Puffy

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’m in the market for a new puffy and looking for inputs on what different guys use. Pros, cons, style of hunting. I’ve had the FL uncompaghre puffy and loved it, but a buddy wanted it, so I sold it to him. Not sure if I want that one again or go a different route. There’s so many options out there. My uses—Mostly later seasons glassing and still hunting, but also throwing on under a shell for the treestand. Any and all inputs would be welcomed! Thanks

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I’m in the market for a new puffy and looking for inputs on what different guys use. Pros, cons, style of hunting. I’ve had the FL uncompaghre puffy and loved it, but a buddy wanted it, so I sold it to him. Not sure if I want that one again or go a different route. There’s so many options out there. My uses—Mostly later seasons glassing and still hunting, but also throwing on under a shell for the treestand. Any and all inputs would be welcomed! Thanks
There are a ton of great options. Most of all it depends on how packable and lightweight versus how durable you need it. Sitka has some of the more durable ones that also retain warmth when wet, but they are also a bit heavier than the ultralight ones. Kryptek has a good ultralight down puffy with the water repellant down. KUIU's superdown is very warm and lightweight, but the shell tears extremely easy. Simply leaning up against a rock a couple of years ago while glassing shredded it...it is extremely lightweight, though.

If you are using in a treestand, you really gotta check out Sitka's waterfowl and whitetail lines. They have puffy layers with Windstopper in them....a true game changer for warmth if you don't have to worry about packable weight. They aren't super heavy, but they just don't compress down to the size of a softball for packing into the mountains.

I'm unfamiliar with First Lite's puffy layers. Their base layers are killer, but I just don't know much about their puffy layers.

Also, you NEED to check out Stone Glacier's new clothing, especially their puffy layers. Extremely light and packable if you need layers like that in your gear setup. Good luck!

Reactions: Slugz

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I checked a few last year and purchased the first lite model. Used 1 season and it's been great. Wish I'd purchased it sooner, but they are pricey.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Great input so far! I wish there weren’t sooo many options! I ran my FL for about 5 years with really no complaints. I run a combo of FL, Kuiu, and Kryptek gear. All great pieces used in conjunction with each other. I was really eyeing up the Kryptek Ghar since it’s on sale for 40% off. There’s just not much info out there on it. Looks great. Packability is a huge plus. I’m not going to be using as an outer, but don’t need one tearing from just brushing up on things either. I’ll be using it from the sheep mountain, late season elk/deer all the way to the treestand.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Lotta options, lotta prices. I've got a Patagonia Nanopuff that I really like, it's the pull over style, and I really wish it was a zip up, it can be difficult to get on. I also have the Kuiu down puffy - that thing is really awesome, and really light weight. Both pack down to basically nothing.

I don't get too worried about the durability of my puffy layer, since I always wear it underneath a shell. Wearing underneath obviously protects the jacket, but I think it keeps me warmer too. Nearly zero heat loss under a wind proof shell.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
As usual, me being the voice of the "cheap answer"... One inexpensive option I picked up last year that I'm happy with was a ZShow packable down jacket from Amazon for $50 or so. It's average quality, average amount of down... but low price for all that. It's only 10oz but works amazingly well for a no-name brand. I use it as a layer under my weather layer/camo on very cold days and since I run warm anyway, it keeps me good down to -20F or so unless it's very windy.

I wouldn't take it mountaineering but it's so small and light that I've taken to carrying it just about everywhere else. Given how cheap they are, I may pick up a few more just to keep in the truck.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have the KUIU Quixdown vest. I was disappointed when I first got it because there seems to be very little insulation in it, and in spots, all there is is the shell. Then I wore it. WOW. As a mid layer it is the warmest thing I have ever worn; my shell or other layers go on top, and when it gets too warm it packs down to Nalgene bottle size. KUIU makes a puffy jacket too, and two friends love theirs, but my arms are already warm enough with the other layers, so I am happy with this. I have a cheaper down vest that costs a quarter as much, but it is twice as bulky, and half as warm.