New pack wanted

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
I have been running a J34 for several years and would like to upgrade to something lighter. I have looked at most of the available ones online and read hundreds of reviews. The problem is I live in northern IN, so not a light of need for hunting backpacking packs around here. I was wondering if their was an outdoor show that would have a most of the big hitters there? KUIU, EXO's, Kifaru, Stone Glacier ect.

I'm 6'4 and not small framed, I want to be able to try them on before buying at those price points.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
To answer your question I believe no. Kifaru you can go into their store in Wheat Ridge CO and try one on.

I'd recommend adding Mystery Ranch to your list also. I run a Kifaru and my buddy had a Beartooth 80 next to me last September and I was rather impressed with it after a few pack outs.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have an exo k2 3500 and love it . I am 6'1" and it fits fine with room to adjust for higher or shorter . I hear their new k3s are even more tall compatable .. there showroom is in boise idaho. I believe they get down to salt lake city for a show every year can't speak to other cities. I would just get on their websight and contact them directly for such info.

it is my opinion , if you are looking for a quality pack they are a contender for the best.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
My partner is about your hight and Kifaru is what’s fit him the best. I run Stone Glacier and it has been very comfortable for me on heavy pack outs.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
This year will probably be tough as shows are mostly canceled that i am aware of? finding a pack that fits best is tough endeavor, i went through this a few years ago. i have used a Kuiu, Kifaru, Eberlestock, Kelty, and a EXO. I tried on a stone glacier also. i am 6' 190# for reference. the EXO and Kifaru are my favorites for me but the Kuiu for the lower price is a good contender. i still own most of these packs also and just use them for different applications, day hikes, day hunts, multiple day backing trips, meat hauling, etc.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
My vote is for the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80.
Plenty of pack for large jobs, and still can be used for day trips and overnighters. 💥

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Main reason I left mystery ranch out was I would like to try to get a pack down to 5lb's or less. I have the spike duffle for my j34, and can carry way more stuff then I need/should. Just wanting to really cut some of my back packing weight. I am not to the point or prob never will be where I count ounces. I upgraded tent from a 8.2lb to a 2.8lb and my sleeping bag to from a 5lb something to a 2.5lb I think? I am thinking I can drop 10-12 pounds with a pack, tent, sleeping bag

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Main reason I left mystery ranch out was I would like to try to get a pack down to 5lb's or less. I have the spike duffle for my j34, and can carry way more stuff then I need/should. Just wanting to really cut some of my back packing weight. I am not to the point or prob never will be where I count ounces. I upgraded tent from a 8.2lb to a 2.8lb and my sleeping bag to from a 5lb something to a 2.5lb I think? I am thinking I can drop 10-12 pounds with a pack, tent, sleeping bag
Plenty of fame only options then that you can tailor for each adventure. My numbers below for comparison.

Day hunts - Kifaru frame + Guide Lid (1200ci) + cargo net + belt pouches and in at 3.9 lbs.
Extended hunts - Bag on it (5000CI) with the Guide Lid (1200ci) and I'm up to 6 lbs.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Slugz, which frame you running? i have hunter frame . was looking at hunter lite( i think was model) to upgrade too possibly?

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I own a kifaru mini keg. It is one of their biggest day packs. It is used mostly for scouting and hunting. It is too small to do a lot of heavy carrying. I'm 60 so I can't carry that much anyway. As a side note, I just made a holster to carry my sidearm on my pack waistband. It should even out the weight from the water bottle on the other side.20210128_155552.jpg20210128_155640.jpg20210202_150447.jpg20210204_163053.jpg20210204_163101.jpg

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I had a j34 went to a SG sky 5900 and Like Ice I’ve been happy. Covid dropped my western hunting last fall. But I used it a lot in Missouri and Kansas. Hauled blinds (no better way) unless you drop them from the truck or sxs. Exo, SG, and Kifaru, pick one and they have a return policy. I’ve you can order your top two and send the one you don’t like back. My sky 5900 is simple and swallows a lot of gear. 706B1156-0F22-4A1B-B022-8C48B8D05C11.jpegE93C170A-0ADE-4D84-983C-889A006C36CA.jpegEFA098B0-5295-4519-AB21-1A8104A1BC12.jpeg
the above picture is a double bull blind, two chairs, and everything to keep little man fed and warm.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’ve been looking into getting a new pack, I’m liking the Initial Ascent pack frame system. There isn’t a whole lot our there on reviews, but they seem to be built tough! Can go from a 4 or 6,000 pack to a day/load hauler really quick. But I also like the Stone Glacier packs. Both cost about the same, guess I’ll just have to order em both and see which one fits me better!

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I've had quite a few different packs. I bought a Stone Glacier 5900 Sky and it's the best one I own IMO. It just fits me and carries a load very well. It also compacts for a day pack.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have been running a J34 for several years and would like to upgrade to something lighter. I have looked at most of the available ones online and read hundreds of reviews. The problem is I live in northern IN, so not a light of need for hunting backpacking packs around here. I was wondering if their was an outdoor show that would have a most of the big hitters there? KUIU, EXO's, Kifaru, Stone Glacier ect.

I'm 6'4 and not small framed, I want to be able to try them on before buying at those price points.

I'm sure many of you saw the rollout of this pack on our social this past week, the Vapor series from Eberlestock. The tall F1 Mainframe and the bag options are a great lightweight pack option. Let me know if you have any questions on it.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I love my Eberlestock J34 "Just One" but not gonna lie, their packs are often kind of "weird". I use it as my hauler and it's nice to know if I need to, I can use it as a multi-day because I have the duffel for it. But between the floppy lid and the way the belt never seemed to sit right on my hips, I mostly use it just for hauling these days.

My go-to most of the time is a Badlands Superday. What I like about it is that it's super quiet, reasonably priced, but also very light. Things like the Vapor didn't grab my interest because you still need the frame, and by the time I need that I figure the J34 covers it. So what I do is, I keep my kill kit and all my other daily essentials in my Superday, and hunt with that. If I'm lucky enough to take an elk, I quarter it and then use the Superday to get the meat bag down to camp. It's strong enough to carry that, and I've actually used it for a front quarter last season as well. Then I switch to the J34 to get the rear quarters.

It's a good system if you're hunting within a few miles of where you camp.

Kodiak32

Dec 10, 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
Western Conservation Hunting Show in SLC will have the manufacturers you mention in your post.
I run the Kuiu Pro LT pack and love it. Even with the 7000 pack on it’s only 4lbs.