New NR deer regions

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Just wanted to put a heads up out there for any NR looking to apply for region E deer tag, its gone. In it's place is Region L, and Q.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Any ideas why they made this change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
The new region L areas all have a season start date of October 1, and are higher elevation. New region Q is all lower elevation with seasons starting on October 15th. Likely just to separate those geographical areas to manage the deer better, but it is purely a guess.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
There has been no formal explanation from the G&F that I am aware of. My guess is that the state is trying to better manage some of these large regions when it comes to their deer herd. The old Region E was very large and very diverse in country, from 11,000 peaks down to the the arid desert sage country. I think they are trying to better manage those environments by splitting out the high country from the desert country. This usually means they plan on more limited quota areas in the future. I would say we could see me limited quota areas in the near future in the lower country in the new Region Q area. Just my 2 cents. -G

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I watched a facebook live on WYG&F recently. They very quickly mentioned the issue. I recall them saying one portion of the region was skewing the quota for the whole region because it had a significantly higher density of deer.