New Mexico Unit 56 & 58 Antelope

Kodiak32

Dec 10, 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
I drew a unit 56 antelope tag, end of August and my two sons drew unit 58, mid-October in New Mexico. We've never hunted the area and I know there's quite a bit of private but looking for any suggestions on places to focus our efforts. It will be both of my sons first antelope. Willing to pay a trespass fee. My main goal is to just get my boys out for a fun hunt and hopefully get them some action at a buck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Sorry, I've never hunted there. Good luck on your hunt and post up your results.
When you put in for those unit 56 & 58 tags, what was your thought process on how and where you were going to tackle this fun adventure?
They grow'm big in NM. Don't shoot the first big one you see.

Kodiak32

Dec 10, 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
My boys are pretty young and New Mexico is the only state they can hunt big game that is close to Colorado. I looked at the MRS, what youth hunts were available and threw our names in the hat. It's only 3 1/2 hours from where we live so I figured it's a great excuse to explore some new areas and make some great memories! I know NM has some toad antelope so I am excited to spend some more time down there. My son also drew a unit 45 deer tag for late November so hopefully we'll find him his first deer as well. Thanks!

Reactions: Bonecollector

New Mexico hunter

Jan 16, 2019
I drew a 58 archery tag I have not gotten a chance to go scout but definitely not good in the public land front. Hopefully we can make something out of it. Havnt had any luck on the trespassing fee yet but still trying.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ve spent some time in those units and have seen plenty of antelope on public (state) land. Get OnX and you should be fine. I’m in a similar situation next month; My niece drew 56 and my nephew drew 58 for the rifle hunt aug 15-17, I’m going with them and my brother in law to help out.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I got to go help out with my niece and Nephew’s hunt in New Mexico last Saturday, got one Saturday morning in 56 and one Saturday afternoon in 58. Hopefully this was a good indication of what the rest of the 2020 season holds! I’m off to Wyoming in 3 weeks for archery elk...

Attachments

Reactions: Kodiak32 and CODAK