New Mexico Unit 16C

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Well guys I finally drew a New Mexico Elk bull tag in Unit 16C October 16-20th. Been applying for some time now, and it happened. Now this is my first elk bull hunt, and super pumped to do this hunt in unit 16C. I did a cow elk hunt last year in Wyoming with a party and it was blast. I'm a rookie at elk hunting, so this adventure will interesting. I've never hunted New Mexico before and been searching the web for ideas of the area. I'm posting here for some guidance in the area, maybe good places to camp, general info of the area, etc... Onx shows good data in the lower portion of the unit, and finding watering holes is key. I plan to camp out in a wall tent and hike around looking for elk. Any help would greatly appreciated, thank you...

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
nice! have no info on area to share but congrats and good luck!

looking foward to seeing many pics of a successful hunt

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Oh for sure, I'll report back on trip. Just trying to get an idea of the terrain on the unit. I know a fire is burning right now in 16C.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
congrats on 16 c,,i too got lucky this year and pulled the n m unit 15 late muzz tag in november close to your area,,from my understanding we should both have some good hunting this fall, lets hope the monsoon season kicks some moisture that way and hope no big fires start up.

Reactions: trailrider121

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Been in the area a few years back. Lot of animals and mild terrain. You should be into elk if you play the wind right. I can't stress this enough. Be wary traveling throughout NM (in towns), made me nervous

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Will be curious to see how you do! I've applied for that hunt area a few times with no luck. Should be one of the better hunts you will do in the country. Cover country and play the wind!

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Will be curious to see how you do! I've applied for that hunt area a few times with no luck. Should be one of the better hunts you will do in the country. Cover country and play the wind!
I’ll post back my trip details and photos. I’m super pumped and not picky on a bull elk. I hunted cow elk last year In Wyoming and learned a lot hunting elk.

Reactions: Bonecollector

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Had a great time in New Mexico a couple weeks ago. I was awarded a Bull Elk tag in Unit 16C just West of Truth or Consequences. My good buddy Andrew Ostapiuk helped me with the draw and location. My cousin Manuel Azevedo came with me on this hunt. We had a great time living off the grid in the Gila National Forest. I've never hunted a for a bull elk before, so it was all a learning curve. We hiked up and down mountains, glassing for animals. Nothing to be found, but did come across lot of elk sign. The area I was hunting was very dense forest and hard to see anything far. We scouted for a couple days and finally saw two elk cows. Gave us hope that some elk are in the area.
On opening day Oct 16th, we headed out early morning on a trail. Just as sunrise gave us some light we heard a loud bugle very close. We both looked at each and agreed in direction of travel. So we put a stock on and heard the elk bugle again. However, we noticed it was farther away. Then it was silence and never heard the bull again. It was exciting to be that close to elk and thought it was going to happen.

The evening hunt didn't go so well, as we both took short nap that afternoon to only wake up 3-4 hours later... lol. Sunday morning at 5:45 am headed up to the same area before, and heard bugling again, but this time it was two bulls bugling. We followed the bugles and up the mountain ridge we went. Climbing and climbing the ridge we went following the bugles. I then spotted a cow elk, but only one. We kept watching that cow, but nothing. So I wanted to go higher up the ridge to get a better clearing. We found a nice spot and glassed for hours. Nothing and no more elk bugles. Then I spotted the cow elk again, this time a couple of them. They were like 450 yards away across the mountain. The elk bedded down, so we decided to eat a cup of noodles, and a cliff bar. I then noticed a movement in the trees, and it was a bull elk. I might have a been a little loud saying there is a Bull. We both watch the elk from our binos, and I said I can make a shot from here. However, how we going to get the bull down from there. Manual says don't worry about that!. So I setup my 300 win mag rifle that Danny Ostapiuk built for me. I was having trouble with the million lava rocks everywhere. Laying prone on lava rocks hurts, but willing to take the pain for the harvest. We waited forever, like 3 hours. The bull would never give me a shot through the dense forest trees, then the worst happen when the lead cow heads right and all the elk follow including the bull. I was frustrated, and said that was my chance. Yes, I know its hunting.... The bull bugled again and it was heading away down a nasty steep canyon. So we packed up and headed down to cut them off. Nothing, we lost the elk. I was pissed off, glassing hard and not seeing anything, then the bull bugled again. Dude its right across the hill in front of us. I finally spotted the elk and the bull. I called Manual over and I tried to get setup with my rifle. I used my Sig Sauer 2200 Kilo rangefinder, and it showed 400 yards away.

As I was moving lava rocks out of the way, my cousin Manual says I lost him. What?? I went back to my binos and I can't see them either. Then I found a cow elk bedded. Keep your eyes on that cow I said. Got setup which took forever. No bull elk in sight, but they're bedded. Then the bull gets up and pushed a bedded cow elk out of the way and bedded were she was. However, I can not get a shot, but saw the bull had 5 points on one side. Good enough for me on this hunt. Again, we're waiting and a couple hours go by again. Its like 3:45pm and I was getting restless. We couldn't even tell if the bull was still there, and the bull elk looked like a rock after awhile. I think we are getting tired, and hungry. The bull bugles, gets up, and start moving down. I ran over to the rifle to get ready. I said if he gives me a clear shot I'm taking it. The bull stepped between two trees and gave me a 3' window. I squeezed the trigger on my 300 win mag, and heard the hard smack of impact. I hit him and bull stopped in his tracks. He took a step forward then went backwards and fell. I racked another round in and my rifle malfunctions with chambering the next round. I panic and shoved the round in. The bull got up and started walking left to the trees. I went to adjust and as I just put the cross hairs on the bull, kaboom sent another round. Not sure if I hit the bull again but he went down. Elk bull down!! Hell yeah , I'm super pumped. The bull was massive up close and was a 5x6 but was busted up on one side (G1 & G2). He was a fighter no doubt. It was getting late, and we started quartering the meat. Hung the meat in the trees, and hike out with full packs. We got back to camp at 11:15pm at night. Very tired and hungry, but it was all worth it. I got the job done!

Went back in the morning to get the rest of the meat. Our packs that morning must have been 150 pounds. So heavy but manage to hike down the 1 million lava rock mountain. When we got to the bottom, we met another hunter who was an another out of state ( Nevada) elk hunting. nice guy, and ask where I got him. All the way to the top at 8500'. His partner had a horse who was behind him a ways. Smart man to use a horse who ended up being a hunt guide (on the edge). Very nice man on the horse. He said you shoot twice last night, yes sir, is that your truck by the fence, yes sir. Did you get all the meat out. We said this is our last load out. Smiled and said good job!
The hunt was over for me and the experience was very challenging, hard work, mentally strong, and rewarding.

Last edited:

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
Thanks guys. It was an absolute blast to have an opportunity to hunt bull elk in New Mexico. It was my second time ever hunting elk and have say I really enjoy every minute..

trailrider121

May 26, 2020
What's even better, is on our 16 hour drive back home, we were talking about next year hunt. Thinking mule deer buck is next, only hunted mule deer once in Idaho. Antelope hunt would be great too. Hunting trips are so much fun and give great memories...

Reactions: Bonecollector