New Mexico Elk 16C 1st Archery

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Finally pulled a NM Elk tag for the Gila. I probably don't need to but I will state the obvious this is a tag that many put in for and dream of. I feel greatly fortunate for drawing this tag and am excited at the prospect of all the trials, tribulations and excitement that will ensue.
I am planning on making multiple scouting trips down to set up trail cams and learn the country. A couple years ago I drew an archery deer tag for the 16's and my plan was to use that as a scouting trip for the elk tag that I would draw in the future. In all of the scouting I did for that hunt it seemed that 16C was void of deer so I spent all of my time in A, B and D so long story short I have no experience in 16C and would love any info or tips guys would be willing to part with on the country or critters.
I am a lifelong elk hunter and its in my blood so if anybody wants to talk about Colorado elk hunting cause that is where I have done most of my elk hunting I would be more than willing to share and swap info so feel free to pm me. I still have the contact info for the biologist and wildlife manager for the area so I am going to add that to the research for the upcoming months.
Good luck to all who drew tags and to all future draws.
-Cory

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
Great tag! I'm hoping to draw it again. If its a dry year like most find the water tanks and the nearest dark timber, the big bulls are starting to move around checking on the cows.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Great tag! I'm hoping to draw it again. If its a dry year like most find the water tanks and the nearest dark timber, the big bulls are starting to move around checking on the cows.
Thanks Redbowman thats a great tip. I have started pouring over onx some more and am finding a ton of tanks that are at least marked on the map. It will be interesting to see how the rest of spring and summer moisture patterns play out and whether or not they will be holding water in September. You said you have hunted C before how long ago was that?

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I hunted 16D Archery 1st a few years ago. Got washed out in monsoon rains the whole time. Take good rain gear!

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Yep rain gear, check! Tire chains are a must too I?m sure.
Speaking of tires does anybody know of the road conditions out there? Any specific roads to avoid or focus on due to condition?