New Member - Illinois

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Hey guys,

I am a new member and I am excited to get involved in the forum. I have looked around the forum for a while now and decided to finally make a user name. I have been archery elk hunting twice and had a great time, but did not harvest an elk. I bowhunt deer in my home state of Illinois regularly, but since elk hunting out west realized it does not really compare. The thrill of waking up to elk bugling is unreal, and I cant wait to go out west again. (Next september)

I also enjoy fishing a lot, and have recently gotten very into fly fishing. I build my own fly rod over the summer, and I am going to bring that the next time I find myself by a trout stream. It is a 7'-6" 3wt, and turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

As far as western big game hunting I am not an expert, so I appolagize for not being able to contribute in that area, specifically. I am however, relatively knowledgeable in camping, backcountry cooking, survival, and some of the newer camping technology. So, I will try to help out in these conversations as much as I can to offset my familiarity with game units and terrain out west.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,

bowrunner

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Welcome to the forum. Fly fishing is also a passion of mine. My dad used to build bamboo fly rods and I have built one myself. Heading to MT next week in fact to chase trout. I lived in Plainfield for 3 years. What part of Illinois are you from?

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Welcome to the forum! Fly fishing is a passion for me as well! Glad you joined there are a lot of great people here with the same passions and interests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Thanks a lot for the responses,

I am from Dwight, IL, which is only about 30 miles south of Plainfield on I55. I actually worked on Caton Farm Road a few summers ago near Plainfield. Bamboo fly rods are very cool. I bought two of them off of craigslist to repair or cleanup as needed, but I have yet to try them out on the water.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Thats pretty cool. We werent far from each other.
One of my good fiends is Ron Dibble...Dibble Trucking. I'm sure you know that name being from Dwight. He may even haul your propane.
I am still part owner of Tri State Propane Exchange in Minooka. Have you seen our trucks or heard of us. I still come that way several times a year.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I definitely know Dibble Trucking. I don't know Ron Dibble personally, but I might have met his daughter, Allie Dibble. I assumed she was a relation. She is from Coal City if I am correct.

That is an awesome coincidence. Its crazy how small of a world it really is.