New jacket time

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
Hey fellas, the time has come to purchase a new jacket. I typically hunt late Oct- mid November here in Oregon for elk. as you guys know the weather can vary year by year. Some years its blue bird and 50-60 degree days while other years we are in the 20's with snow and wind. I typically hunt at elevations of 4000' to 8000'. I like to put miles under my feet and also like to sit at times and watch/listen. suggestions?

I wear merino wool base layers, my top base layer has zones and a zipper. I don't have much in the way of a mid-layer just yet so suggestions here would be good as well.

I would like to keep my purchase below $300 if possible.

I appreciate your feedback

Travis

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Filson...Lifetime guarantee,I have never had to worry about any of thier products.A little pricey but never disappointed.:cool:

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I got my jacket last night, I am very happy with the overall fit. i did order an XL so i can layer and not feel to tight. Cant wait to put this jacket to use.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good deal. It’s important to have a good fit. I was going to suggest SixSite. I just received a jacket and it fits well and very quiet. I’ll be out testing it this weekend.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One thing for sure....I hate plastic zippers. They all eventually wear out. I just replaced the plastic zipper in my favorite jacket with a brass one.

PLASTIC zippers SUCK!

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
Well the jacket wont get tested out in the field much this elk season. Father in-law passed away last week unexpectedly so i cancelled my trip to support the Wife so no elk in the freezer this year. I'll be sure to wear it thru the winter season when i think about it.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Sorry for your loss...

I hunt above 8 K in Oregon although its in September. Dont think I could get there in October/November though!

Great pick on the Guide jacket.

Last edited: