New .257 Weatherby

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a Leupold 6x I am going to install today and recheck/reclean the barrel. I've let it sit overnight with the barrel soaked down with Sweets. See what happens next week.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Swapped the scope and been pushing patches thru the barrel all day! Still getting crap out...thought I had it pretty clean. I will put as many patches as it takes to get some clean one thru the barrel.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Swapped the scope and been pushing patches thru the barrel all day! Still getting crap out...thought I had it pretty clean. I will put as many patches as it takes to get some clean one thru the barrel.
CC,

Get some Wipeout Foaming Bore cleaner. Spray it in, let it sit for 12 hours. Then push a couple patches through and do it again. Repeat until the first patch through comes out clean. That stuff will take it down to bare metal. I had a Savage that did the same thing. Turned out it was collecting copper like a son-of-a about 4 inches ahead of the throat.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Remember that high velocity cartridges have a tendency to copper foul ...
Thats a fact. My .220 Ackley Swift is pretty bad too. I clean the barrel really well after every shooting session.

I bought some of the foaming bore cleaner and left it overnight and it really worked. Clean patches now. Won't get back to the range until Friday (Am taking my wife fishing Thursday) so I'll see what happens.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Thats a fact. My .220 Ackley Swift is pretty bad too. I clean the barrel really well after every shooting session.

I bought some of the foaming bore cleaner and left it overnight and it really worked. Clean patches now. Won't get back to the range until Friday (Am taking my wife fishing Thursday) so I'll see what happens.
Sounds good, CC!

Wipeout is a miracle product. I don't even have bore brushes anymore. I haven't tired any of the other foaming brands. Wipeout works so well I haven't needed to. Just foam it, let it sit, and push it out with a tight jag and a patch.

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
It's kinda nice to hear a discussion on rifle work. With all I the bow hunters tuning their bows I sometimes feel like an outcast working on my rifle.

Let us know how it turns out.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Talked to a tech at Leupold and they want the scope back to recheck it out. Sent it back today. They are also sending me some new mounts as they want tp eliminate one more potential problem area. The mounts are FREE! Process of elimination.

I have the 6x on the rifle and hope to get to the range Friday.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got back from the range and got some intersting results. The first 3 rounds at 50 yards with factory loads were touching each other. Got out my reload candidates and the groups went to crap!. I am going to wait until I get the scope back from Leupold and then start over. I am going to pull all the remaining loads and relook at some different powders.

Did take my trusty ol Ruger M77 25-06 and shot a 3 shot group with my antelope loads at 100 yds that was about .7 dia. Sure love that rifle, always shoots great!

Last edited:

rossman18

Jul 23, 2012
View attachment 3323View attachment 3324View attachment 3325View attachment 3326View attachment 3327

Just got back from the range. Shot the new Wby 257 mag and my 220 Ackley Imp Swift. Swift chronos a little over 4ooo fps. It is a custom I built a few years ago, did the stock work myself. Has a 6 x 20 Leupold on top. The Wby shot real good, chrono 3200 with factory 120 grs. The 3 shot group is from my 25-06, Ruger M77. Thats my antelope load.

Now I need to work up some reloads for the Wby 257.

The caption on the 3 shot group is labeled wrong, not from the Swift, is from my 25-06.
Try the 110 grain accubonds, the factory rounds shot great, it took me a while to match the factory round's speed and acuracy due to the free bore. the factory 110 accubond and my 110 accubond shoot the same, except I can not match the speed without going way over the max powder recommendation. I inspect all my cases and there not cracking, getting stuck and the primer pocket is fine. My .257 weatherby accmark is my most acurate 1000 yard gun with minimal wind.

I found Weatherby's are the hardest rifles to load up cause the free bore eliminates seating the bullet against the lands.

If I run out of hand loads I buy the factories and with some minor adjustments they shoot pretty much the same.

good luck..

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You are right about the factory loads. I had the same problem with my .300 Wby, but it went away after I rebarreled it with a Shilen match ss barrel. My smith chambered it the way he does non Wby calibers with almost (or none) no free bore. It shoots great.

Got the scope back from Leupold yesterday and I'll be back at the range on Monday.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Been back to the range several times and finally hit gold today! After looking back at all the loads I've tried, I decided to raise the ante a little. None of the 100 gr stuff shot very well for me, so I loaded up some 115 gr Nosler Bal Tip Boattails with RE25. Tried 10 different loads of 3 rounds each starting with 68 gr of powder and going up in 1/2 grain increments, highest was 72.5. Found 3 that shot pretty well. One (69 gr) got me a 3 shot group that measures .55 center to center, all touching at 100yds. The other 2 are close to this also. They are 69.5 & 70 gr. I am going to load up some more of these and take the chrono with me and see what they do. Looks like I will get a load for antelope after all!