New .257 Weatherby

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Guess I'm going to be able to get to the range Tuesday and try my new .257 Wby. I am going to take my chrono and see what It will do with some factory stuff that came with it before I load up some reloads. I'll have something to compare my stuff to. I need to see how I like the scope too. It came with a Leupold VXIII 3x10 50mm. It has the duplex reticle, which is not my favorite. Might have to send it back to Leupold to install a Leupold Dot, which is all I shoot. This is my first 50mm, as everything elso I shoot is a 40mm.

I will also take my ML with me to try out the new Thor bullets I just got.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey on midway, there are some factory rounds on clearance. It is cheaper than buying just the brass! My pops just bought 5 boxes just for the brass. Anyways, I thought I would pass it along
It came with 3 boxes Wby factory and 12 boxes of once fired brass. Won't be needing ammo or brass soon. Dies, some powder & bullets too.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
220 Imp Swift.jpg220 Imp Swift 6 x 20 Leupold.jpg220 Improved Chrono.jpg257 Wby Mag 3 x 10 Leupold.jpg3 shot groups 220 Imp Swift.jpg

Just got back from the range. Shot the new Wby 257 mag and my 220 Ackley Imp Swift. Swift chronos a little over 4ooo fps. It is a custom I built a few years ago, did the stock work myself. Has a 6 x 20 Leupold on top. The Wby shot real good, chrono 3200 with factory 120 grs. The 3 shot group is from my 25-06, Ruger M77. Thats my antelope load.

Now I need to work up some reloads for the Wby 257.

The caption on the 3 shot group is labeled wrong, not from the Swift, is from my 25-06.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yes its a left handed stock with a rt handed 03 Springfield action. Back in the late 60's early 70's, thumbhole stocks were quite popular. I decided to build one as I did some stockmaking. I started making stocks because there was nothing on the market then (except possibly the Savage 110) for lefties except very expensive customs. I thought it would be great for hunting as it pointed very well. But there was one problem...it was awkward as hell to operate the safety...with your thumb. I kept the stock (it was a really nice piece of walnut) and after many years decided to use it for the Swift as I use it mainly for prairie dogs and varmints..its really heavy (about #12).

Shoots great too!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The gun was made in Japan. It is in pretty good shape with really good blue. The stock wood is good also, with the finish showing some wear. I do stock work am considering refinishing the wood. I hate the sprayed on epoxy plastic type of finish. If I refinish the wood, I'll do a good hand applied oil finish with a classic satin finish. The key to a good refinish is prep. Getting the old finish off (especially this type of finish), repairing dings & dents and getting a really smooth surface to work with, (sound like preping a car for paint!) so the oil will really soak into the bare wood and seal it off.

I sent the scope back to Leupold as the windage adjustment was sticking, probably because it sat for a really long time. I wanted to change the reticle to a Leupold Dot (which is my favorite). Scope should be back in a week or so, cost was $59.00 incl postage. Then I can start some serious handload work with some of the new powders I like. I want to have it ready for goats this Sept/Oct!

I hpope it shoots as well as my 25-06......love the .25's:)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Finally got back to the range today for some serious load testing. All the loads this session were with RE22 and 100 Nosler BT bullets. Started with 66 grs of powder and worked my way up to 73 in 1/2 grain increments, 3 rounds each. The 66 chrono'ed at 3215 avg (factory loads are 3250). I went al the way up to 70 gr at 3485 avg and stopped. The 70 grain load shot a 3 shot group that was touching (about 1/2" total group size) each other at 100 YDS. I did shoot the 73's to see what they would do...avg chrono was 3660! PLENTY HOT! Group not as good as the 70 grainer. I have 2 loads that I am going to do some more work with at 100 & 200 yards. The 70 and 67.5 (chronos 3320 avg).

Looks like the 70 gr will be the one for goats. I think that 3485/3500 fps is plenty fast. Thats 300+ fps faster than my 25-06. Once I do a little work at 100/200, then it will be out to 400/500 yards.

So far this rifle is awsome, it was a great addition to my hunting collection.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Back to the range again tomorrow. I think I'll have my goat load when I finish up. Next is working out a heavier bullet/load for deer.

Didn't to shoot much as the wind started blowing almost as soon as I set up. Oh well another day, maybe thur or Fri.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Spent several hours at the range this am and I am a little frustrated. I had the 2 loads that I had narrowed my 100 grainers down to and started to do some work at 100 yards. The first 3 shots were real good, less than 1", then everything went to hell. The next 4 or 5 were all over the paper with up to a 12" spread. The other load wouldn't shoot eather. I cleaned the barrel and started over and still looked like a shotgun pattern. I finally packed up and came homw.

Took the stock off and looked at the bedding...it is OK. Took the scope off and bases and ring screws were tight. I guess I'll call Leupold Monday and talk to them. The scope was was back to them a month ago for a reticle change, maybe there is something wrong there. I had a similiar problem with another VXIII several years ago and the scope internals had came loose.

I just don't think there is a barrel problem as it looks good. I don't thing it would suddenly just give up after it had shot so well earlier. Usually those problems show up over time.

I'm purplexed and a little frustrated. Guess I'd better get out the Ruger M77 25-06 and make sure it still is a tac driver!!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
If it isn't the bedding, isn't the barrel, or isn't the mounting system, it is the scope.

I would make sure you don't have a stubborn copper deposit in the barrel somewhere though. It seems like once the copper fouling goes over the tipping point ... groups go wild.

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
I agree with trying another scope before sending it off. It will tell you for sure if it's the barrel or the scope/rings/bases. Good luck, I know it's frustrating trying to pinpoint those types of problems.