Nevada 31 deer

emc

May 21, 2014
Has anyone here hunted Nevada 31 for mule deer? I have been out there antelope hunting but never for deer. I’ve only talked to 1 person who has deer hunted it so I haven’t been really able to get much information about the area other than from the biologist. I was hoping just to ask a few questions to anyone who has hunted it. I drew the tag just a week or two ago as an alternate and I am debating keeping the tag.

feel free to pm me if you have hunted it for deer I just have a few questions I’d like to ask. Thanks

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Look in Bilk Creek and Trout Creek

We used to hunt outside of Paradise.
there are lots of roads going into the hills. Mulinex, I think I spelled that wrong, and Solid Silver is we’re we hunted the most. We never found anything real big there but we filled our tags.
Hinkey Summit is another place to try but I think there will be a lot of hunters there.
Hope that helps some. Look for water and from when we were there most of the Bucks were up high.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
There are some deer in the area not alot but thats normal for nevada. Like was said find water and id hunt the north part of the unit. Try to make friends with any chucker hunters you come across. North of kings river area.

emc

May 21, 2014
Thanks nv hunter. I thought that was 51 not 31. Some of that stuff mentioned didn’t sound familiar lol.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Wish i could help more but never spent much time on that side of the highway. Ill ask one of my guys at work he chucker hunts it alot.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Bilk creek mountains are in 031 but the rest of my info was in 051
there’s a cool camp spot on your way to Kings River. There is a pond just off the road before you drop into the valley. I’ve hunted the Montana’s a few times and there is deer in the canyons. Lots of springs and there at times is a small shallow lake up on top. Lots of antelope and some sheep there. Also game birds.
There used to be a ton of antelope there but it’s not as good as it used to be. There was a big fire there a few years back but that might help for feed now. Some of the ranchers there will allow you to hunt deer on their land but not many of them. It never hurts to ask.
Up north at the border can produce some stomper bucks that come down from the Trout Creek Mountains in the Granites and the southern part of Sherman and Sage creek. Just make sure you have OnX so you stay in Nevada. Fish and Game like to hang around there to make sure we are staying on our side of the border.

Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post.

emc

May 21, 2014
Bilk creek mountains are in 031 but the rest of my info was in 051
there’s a cool camp spot on your way to Kings River. There is a pond just off the road before you drop into the valley. I’ve hunted the Montana’s a few times and there is deer in the canyons. Lots of springs and there at times is a small shallow lake up on top. Lots of antelope and some sheep there. Also game birds.
There used to be a ton of antelope there but it’s not as good as it used to be. There was a big fire there a few years back but that might help for feed now. Some of the ranchers there will allow you to hunt deer on their land but not many of them. It never hurts to ask.
Up north at the border can produce some stomper bucks that come down from the Trout Creek Mountains in the Granites and the southern part of Sherman and Sage creek. Just make sure you have OnX so you stay in Nevada. Fish and Game like to hang around there to make sure we are staying on our side of the border.

Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post.

No worries i appreciate any information shared. I drew an antelope tag there this year and hunted it for antelope. When i got home i recieved the email that i had been drawn for an alternate deer tag. I wish i knew i would have stayed an extra couple days and scouted for deer.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold