Need opinions on backcountry communication

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase something to be able to communicate with my wife back home when I'm in the mountains and out of cell service.

What have you guys tried and what do you like/not like about them?

I already have a GPS unit so I don't really need another, just a good way to communicate back home. Thank you!

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
I've looked at renting a sat phone for a month when I plan on being out of comms. I think that I found a place for $50 a month you can get one. Then just take extra batteries or a solar charger.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
Thats a good idea, especially if the need for one wouldn't be more than a month.

A follow up question for people is which devices require a yearly purchase and if so how much is it per year to use.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
We prefer the InReach. Keeps the family happy as they get a link to click on, shows a map where you are at and you can attach a text to it. Keeps everyone sane with minimum communication.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
We prefer the InReach. Keeps the family happy as they get a link to click on, shows a map where you are at and you can attach a text to it. Keeps everyone sane with minimum communication.

Is there a yearly fee for usage with the InReach? Or do you pay for a certain number of messages?

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Inreach, after hunting in northern BC. and seeing the guides texting each other or the outfitter the key to them is the Bluetooth feature and you text thru your smarts phone so no clumsy texting on the inreach itself. Also the outfitter told me every time he receives a text he knows exactly where his guides are because of gps coordinates!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
One thing I want to mention, that often gets overlooked is remember the basic rules...even with these great new communication devices.

1. Practice visually marking Country. Stop on your hike in, look around, take in the landmarks. This is more critical than people realize, especially the first trip into a new area.

2. Set a time range that will make contact with your loved ones. Say between 7 p.m. and midnight I will send out a message. This gives you butchering time or tracking time. It?s very easy to forget when breaking down a bull that you should call/text/press the button etc.

3. Leave a list of drainages that you might be in with your emergency contact. Devices lose power and this insurance that you will be found in case of emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
Another vote for the InReach. Been using the InReach SE for about 3 or 4 years now and it has worked great for me. I can stay in touch with the family and let them know I am o.k.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
InReach I think is the best bet with cost in mind and being able to communicate.

Scott makes a great point as well.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
X 2 Worked Great for me and I didn't have someone calling me constantly. Few texts a day keeps he wife at bay...