need help with Antelope DIY hunt in Wyoming

ROGER SANCHEZ

Dec 3, 2012
My friend and I want to head out west to hunt antelope in 2014 or 2015. We'd even be willing to wait longer if it means drawing a better area/permit. I'm just confused with the whole application process. I see that the non resident application fee is $286. I also read that you can just buy a preference point for $30. I've seen that some of the better areas require 2 or 3 preference points. Can I buy points this year and next year to have a good chance at drawing a tag for 2015? Is there an option to ONLY purchase points without applying for a tag? Also, do you apply for a "general" tag or are the tags "area specific"? Thanks in advance for your help guys. This process seems a bit intimidating at first. I'd appreciate any other information. Thanks and good hunting!

Roger

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
If you're not going this year, you can wait until July 1st, and purchase a point only, 1 or 2 points will go a long way in improving your odds of drawing a tag. WY offers two price points for tags, regular and special. The special tag is $526.. Steep for an antelope, but a point and the special draw will get you just about any tag in the state. All antelope hunts are unit specific, there are no general hunts.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Also, your too late to buy points only this year. Deadline was back in September. For your first time you may not want to play the points game and just go to get the experience. You can get 2 doe tags for about $100 bucks and you could draw those permits next year if you pick the right unit.

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
My friend and I want to head out west to hunt antelope in 2014 or 2015. We'd even be willing to wait longer if it means drawing a better area/permit. I'm just confused with the whole application process. I see that the non resident application fee is $286. I also read that you can just buy a preference point for $30. I've seen that some of the better areas require 2 or 3 preference points. Can I buy points this year and next year to have a good chance at drawing a tag for 2015? Is there an option to ONLY purchase points without applying for a tag? Also, do you apply for a "general" tag or are the tags "area specific"? Thanks in advance for your help guys. This process seems a bit intimidating at first. I'd appreciate any other information. Thanks and good hunting!

Roger

If you are willing the pay the extra $, the special will get you hunting a good unit this year if you want. There are usually some decent leftover tags too where a guy can go get some goats and not even have to draw. It is really hard to have a bad goat hunt in Wyoming.

ROGER SANCHEZ

Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for the help guys! Is Wyoming a good state to try for a combo mule deer/antelope hunt? If so, how do you recommend I plan the hunt? Try and accumulate several points for each? Thanks!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Thanks for the help guys! Is Wyoming a good state to try for a combo mule deer/antelope hunt? If so, how do you recommend I plan the hunt? Try and accumulate several points for each? Thanks!
my experience says to plan two different hunts. I personally need to focus my energy on one species to have a quality hunt to my standards. It depends on how much one wants to drive as well, if you are going a long distance and combining the two was a must, I would try to dedicate a week to each minimum with antelope being first, if you harvest early, that means you have more time chasing deer! That is just my opinion and how i would approach it if you had to kill 2 birds with one stone.

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
As far as goats are concerned, I would decide on what unit you would like to hunt and whether you want to do the special draw or not. If you draw your tag great the hard part is over. If not start browsing the leftover list and pick a unit where you have some accessible public or hma/wia access. There is some great goat hunting to be had even on leftover tags.

krod4dcar

Dec 5, 2012

Roger
Roger,
I just hunted Unit 21 in Wyoming for antelope this last month. There are plenty of tags for the non-resident in this area. Biggest issue is tha there is a lot of checkerboarded private land mixed in with the public land. You will need to purchase a color screen GPS and a micro sim card that shows both public and private land holdings. There is plenty of land to hunt and the odd of drawing are 100%.

Ken

krod4dcar

Dec 5, 2012

Roger
Roger,
I just hunted Unit 21 in Wyoming for antelope this last month. There are plenty of tags for the non-resident in this area. Biggest issue is tha there is a lot of checkerboarded private land mixed in with the public land. You will need to purchase a color screen GPS and a micro sim card that shows both public and private land holdings. There is plenty of land to hunt and the odd of drawing are 100%.

Ken

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

Roger
Hey Roger,

Lat me answer some of you specific questions.Lets start with pref pts. You buy them between July and September each year. (Check the Wyo G&F webpage on procedure). Yes lots of the areas require points, so you need to start getting them. Its to late this year. In Wy you will not get a point when you DO NOT draw a tag...again you have to buy them! There are areas for deer that are almost like a general elk tag...eg, they are LETTER areas (A,B,C, etc) that contain 6 or 8 numbered units. Some of these units within the Area can be limited draw and you cannot hunt there even with the Unit tag. Get the regs and read them carefully. Call W G&F if you have questions, they are very helpful, as are the Forum people. Good Luck,.