Need help for late season youth elk in GMU35

Mazz Hunter

Nov 13, 2013
Some of you may recall my earlier post about GMU 54 1 st rifle elk hunt with my son. Well, I had to change my plans due to personal issues with the family calender. I just picked up left over 1st rifle cow tags for 35. I know this is the same season we turned in for 54, however, I can get into hunting country in about 1:45 hr vs the 6 hrs it took us to get to our spot in 54. This makes it possible for us to maybe get up for a short 2 day hunt. Also, my son will be able to hunt the late youth hunt. I know it will be crowded, however, I did have many options to get him in the mountains for a hunt this year after our main plans went south.

Looking for some general advice for the late season youth hunt if anyone is willing to PM me.

I haven't been in that area for about 5 yrs since I was grouse hunting Dusky's in Sept.

Due to my son's school, athletics and the time it takes to go west I need to start looking for another unit for 2nd or 3rd elk seasons a little closer to Denver. I want to be able to hunt the unit annually to get to know it and build our knowledge for elk and deer as he gets older.

I was thinking 48, the only question is the snow and access for the later dates around these higher peaks.

Thanks in advance for any direction on 35 or future units.