NDOW Commissioners Meeting

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Do any of you fellow Nevadans watch the commissioners meetings on the YouTube?? I came across it yesterday and ended up watching quite a bit of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3d38ridQf0

Link above they went over shed hunting seasons and the use of trail cameras. Looks like they are wanting to close shed hunting from January 1st through April 30th. I do think it needs to be approved through the legislation process though.

For trail cameras, basically from July 1st through December 31st you can not use a transmitting camera anywhere and from August 1st through December 31st you can not use a non-transmitting camera. The remaining months there are regulations, such as you must be 300ft away from any water source. I have not decided how I feel about this. On the one hand, I could care less. I own one camera for 4 or 5 years and literally have used it once for hunting purposes in 2015. I was curious on whether any animals were travelling through this pretty tight draw.

On the other hand, I am not sure if I like the Nevada Department of Wildlife telling me what I can or cannot do on public land outside of regulating the animals. Of course, some will say that the cameras would give me an unfair advantage over the animal I am pursuing. In my experience, I have tried to pattern certain deer without the use of the cameras, and thought I pretty much had him pegged for what he does daily. Come archery hunting season, buck is nowhere to be found.

How does the wardens plan on enforcing this regulation?? Wardens are scarce, they will be able to catch those that set cameras up on man made water sources, which I think is the main reason for the regulation request, but not sure they will be able to enforce said regulation away from the roads.

Really don't know how I feel about this regulation. Again I think legislation will need to pass this before it goes into effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bwZx2uCDY

This link they went over the different species and season dates. I fast forwarded through a lot of this as the page is over 8 hours long. One thing I like is that they are looking to change the hunting hours to 1/2hr before sunrise and 1/2hr after sunset.

Anyways, if anybody is bored, you can take a look.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
For trail cameras, basically from July 1st through December 31st you can not use a transmitting camera anywhere and from August 1st through December 31st you can not use a non-transmitting camera. The remaining months there are regulations, such as you must be 300ft away from any water source. I have not decided how I feel about this. On the one hand, I could care less. I own one camera for 4 or 5 years and literally have used it once for hunting purposes in 2015. I was curious on whether any animals were travelling through this pretty tight draw.

I would be very much in support of this regulation. Even though you may not use you camera for hunting purposes many others do use many cameras for hunting. I read several years ago about one particular basin in southern NV that had over 70 cameras in it, that they knew of. I've personally been there and the area does contain some real monsters. The reason these bucks get to be monsters is because they are very hard to find. The use of trail cameras makes it much easier to find these bucks.
Cutting off the use of cameras before any hunting seasons makes good sense to me.
How this would be enforced is a good question. Perhaps open season on trail cameras found after July 1st.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree with the shed hunting regulations

Trail cams I’m in the same boat. I’ve found some awesome bucks using trail cams but when hunting season come around they are gone. I personally have never killed a deer I found with a trail camera.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I sometimes think that trail cameras have hurt us on our deer lease. We are constantly infiltrating the deers bedroom to see what is on the cameras. More intrusion = more human scent.

Had a couple really good bucks leave the lease because of it.
This deer showed up a couple times on camera but after checking the cameras a few times he vanished. This was from this year (Date is clearly incorrect)
No idea were this buck went.. its a dang good deer for Georgia though...

I__00346.jpg

geargrinder

Feb 24, 2015
Dayton, NV
Trail camera was the only way I got my archery antelope buck this year. I was in 6 that had the huge wildland fire right before the season. The burn really moved the goats around and were not in the places I had found them prior to the burn.

I had 3 cameras out and moved them around until I found a new spot the antelpe were coming to after the burn.

I think the cameras helped me, but I don't think they provide an unfair advantage.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Trail camera was the only way I got my archery antelope buck this year. I was in 6 that had the huge wildland fire right before the season. The burn really moved the goats around and were not in the places I had found them prior to the burn.

I had 3 cameras out and moved them around until I found a new spot the antelpe were coming to after the burn.

I think the cameras helped me, but I don't think they provide an unfair advantage.
So if the cameras were the only way you got your antelope they did give you an advantage in finding them.