My new hunting and shed hunting partner :)

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I finally found the perfect hunting and shed hunting partner! She wont complain, she's quiet, wont fight over who saw the horn first or animal first and will go where I tell her without any back sassing (because we all know I am right and I know where to go, duh hahah). She makes me excited in all new ways for this shed hunting and hunting season. Anyone else have horses? I grew up with horses but this is my first horse that I actually bought and have the title in my name. I know a lot about horses but am definitely not an expert. I'd love to share tips, tricks and tactics! I will let y'all know when my episode airs on Animal Hoarders. Haha Now I really do have a freakin' zoo.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Congradulations on your new horse, you'll have a ball with her. As far as tips for you, I would say probably the most important training that you'll do is get the animal acustomed and conditioned to REAL hunting situations at your farm (or zoo), preferably in a small pasture or round pen. What I do is hang hides and horns on the fence right above the feeders and let the horses figure it out for themselves, in no time they get used to the site and smell and think nothing of it. Anything a horse learnes on there own really sticks. Just start slow and you'll be fine. Another thing they'llneed to learn, especially for hunting is staying tied. Just tie her to a post or tree (make sure she can't get tangled) and leave her for a while, slowly keep her tied for longer periods of time. That way when your hunting and want to get off and glass for a while your horse will stay put. Just go slow and have fun with it. Here's a pic of my setup, I like it better than high line's or picket.

IMG_0342.jpgIMG_0320.jpg

Almost forgot.............Leave it to a woman to color coordinate halters and feed buckets........NICE :D

Last edited:

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Here is mine. I sold her last year but had a lot of fun with her and covered a LOT of miles.

I found more sheds while riding her than I have in my life on foot. The added elevation really helps!

The only real good tip I have is to not try and shoot a coyote off your horse before you know if they are used to guns. Don't ask me how I know!:eek:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
What a beautiful mare!

I am really happy for you, Jen, but this thread makes me sad.

My trusty steed of many years, Trip, died last week after a sudden twisted gut, and before I could get him in to the vet. He was twenty, which is way too young.

Be sure to check her often, and learn about Colic. Act quickly when something is wrong.

Rest in Peace, old friend.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
BB,

Same thing happened to one of my animals early last spring, Bow went down sometime during the night and was gone in the morning when we went out to feed. 22 years old and still packing 140 lbs loads. Good stock that can be trusted on the mountain with your gear and your butt are far and few between.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Congratulations on your new horse and hunting partner jenbickel. Very cool. I hope you will have many good hunts and outings with her in the coming years and days ahead.

I'm with you Ikeepitcold, I wish I had room for horses too. I leased one out here for over a year and took riding lessons a couple days each week. Horses are awesome. It all came down to time for me and having to drive out to the ranch to ride and all. I think if I had them at the house I'd be able to get out take better care of them and ride more often.

Bitterroot Bulls, and packer 58 sorry to hear about Trip and Bow and the colic. It sounds like they both went quickly. My condolences go out to you and your family. That is good advice to learn about the signs of colic with horses. That gastrointestinal condition in horses can become a killer real fast.

Joe Hulbert you made me smile about shooting the coyote off the horse. It reminded me of that Jeremiah Johnson movie when he shoots his venison resting his rifle off the top of his horse :).

Last edited:

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Pendleton2011 009.jpg
Here is me and Buddy looking good! He will be 21 this spring but still as lively and ready to go as a colt! I have all ready started getting him back in shape for the back country again this year.
Congratulations Jen on your new best pal! Hope you have as much fun with her as mine have given me!
Sorry BB and packer for your losses, a few years ago, we had to put down my daughters horse at 28, it doesn't matter how you lose them, it's never easy!

Last edited:

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
my shed huntin buddy is my wheeler lol, all i have to do is put gas in it. Although I can't take it where a horse can go, still fun and if it bucks me off, its my fault. As you can tell me and horses haven't really gotten along very well

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone! I am very excited for her and all of our new adventures together.

kcaves- I have a wheeler also, I just like that I can get her back into places that my wheeler cant go. I guess maybe I'm just becoming a lazy hunter :)

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
Thanks everyone! I am very excited for her and all of our new adventures together.

kcaves- I have a wheeler also, I just like that I can get her back into places that my wheeler cant go. I guess maybe I'm just becoming a lazy hunter :)
What kind of wheeler do you have??? Please dont say yamaha or honda

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
sorry i'm a polaris guy, went to motorcycle mechanics institute for honda, yamaha, kawasaki, and suzuki and i hated working on yamaha and honda.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
I wish they were all the same, then I wouldn't have wasted a year and a half in the craphole i called phoenix, ( no offense to anybody down there)