My Dream Hunts List

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
every hunt I go on is my dream hunt. guess I'M just not one o them grass is always greener fellers

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
every hunt I go on is my dream hunt. guess I'M just not one o them grass is always greener fellers
I think we are actually speaking the same language. Do I dream of a great hunt every time I head out yup, do I want to experience a few different places I thought would be fun, yup. Just how do I get to each of them.

Reactions: kidoggy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hunting away from the area that you are familiar with is interesting in that you get to learn and see new country. I grew up in Utah and have hunted most of the state but we still don't just put in for the same unit year after year, we try something new.

The same can be said of our dream hunts. My first one was a grizzly hunt in a wilderness area in British Colombia and even without getting a grizzly I had a fantastic time. Even the elk hunts that I have done here in Colorado, my best bull from Colorado came from a new unit that I learned the summer before the hunt. But with the amount of points that it took to draw the tag I'll never see it again. My best bull from Utah came from a unit that I knew like the back of my hand but due to the DOW deciding that all the hunts there will now be limited entry for both deer and elk I doubt that I will get to hunt it again, at least with a tag in my pocket but I'm trying.

Then came my coues deer hunt in Arizona. I had a friend that knew the unit but we both struck out my first year but got my buck the second year when my partner didn't have a tag. Then there are the fun hunts down in Arizona. Javelina hunts can be some of the funnest and most aggravating hunts that there is. We have only been hunting them down there now for 26 years and as soon as we think that we have them figured out they throw us a curve ball, but we keep coming back.

But there are always the big dream hunts. Alaskan moose, coastal brown bears, stone sheep, dall sheep and all the others are really out of reach of most of us unless we hit the lottery, but we can dream.

What I am getting at is to reach out and do the ones that you can afford, a lot of new experiences and fun places to go and all you have to do is do it.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've already done most things I never thought would be possible for me with limited budget
Moose in newfoundland, caribou in alaska, antelope in utah, colorado and wyoming. Mule deer and elk here at home. Whitetail deer in texas. Coues in az. Swan in utah. Mountain lion in colorado.
Just gonna keep plodding along going wherever I can afford.
That said if I could choose without having to plan around other things or timing.
I really want a sitka blacktail followed by a columbian.
Just love deer hunting the most.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been very lucky as I have done somewhere around 30 backcountry/wilderness horseback packin deer hunts and kill my share of great bucks. I also did a Thorofare Teton Wilderness elk hunt for my 70th birthday. I want to do one more of them before I get too damn old to ride a horse (I'll be 78 in Oct). I am researching hunts for 2020....stay tuned! I also have enough points here in Colorado to one, but I am looking at Wyoming & Montana too.

I also keep trying for a desert sheep tag here in Colorado, no luck in the last 20 years.

This year I am off to Wy where I have buck deer & antelope tags. Took all 13 of my deer points to draw the unit I wanted, so I am happy about that. I have seen some great bucks in it over the years, so I'll close out my Wyoming deer hunting on top!

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
If "dream hunt" means "it doesn't have to be realistic" it would be either Caribou in Canada or Kudu in Africa.

If it means "something that might actually happen for you one day" I would say walking 50yds off the road from my truck and bumping a fat bedded cow elk and taking her right there. Because I gotta tell you, the hunt is fun, but the "pack it out" is always a ton of work! I'd settle for one year being one of those guys with the story about filling his freezer on opening day with the one that was "right there in front of me when I got out" I've heard those stories so many times, and it's never me the one telling it! :p

Do I have "realistic" backwards here?

Reactions: gonhunting247

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Scott,

I take it that the interest in the landowner tag is to get on some country with great genetics, without waiting forever on a drawn tag that may never pan out?

I've never priced one out; but w/points fees rising and point creep (point system states), it might not be as expensive as one might think? Currently @ $41/yr for a nonres deer preference point in WY, if the price never went up, for say, 10 points to get a really good tag, I'm looking at $410 on top of the tag cost; plus 10 yrs. And depending on the area/tag, it could be much worse than that.

With the point creep and limited tags, its worth looking at other options like these landowner tags to get out there where dreams are made...😉

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
Dream hunt Brooks range sheep, did it !!!! IT WAS AWESOME !! 14 days of true wilderness saw 1 guy to get dropped off at the air strip we were getting picked upped at..

Kodiak bear hunt , while i could never draw a tag couple of buddies did & I went along .. Truly spectacular !!!!

Northern Alaska combo hunt 10 days out in the wilderness hunting caribou & moose .. Went solo had a blast.. Hard work packing a moose to the airstrip by my self !!!

I am like the dude on solo hunter that seeks adventure and far & away places. I can tell you this, whatever the dream hunt is that you desire find the why and pursue it.. We only get older and only gets harder to go.

Landowner tags: I used to purchase land owner tags in Colorado when I couldn't draw the license .. I started doing that in 2010 .. I could purchase a Limited entry Bull tag for $800 and go kill a 320" plus bull. NOW these tags are selling for $3000 plus.. I drew a 4th season buck tag last year with 7 points and harvested a great buck .. If score matters SCI was 179 3/8"... I seen a landowner tag for sale in the same unit for sale for $4000.. So in conclusion ranchers have seen the value of these tags and charge according to what the market will bear..

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Scott,

I take it that the interest in the landowner tag is to get on some country with great genetics, without waiting forever on a drawn tag that may never pan out?

I've never priced one out; but w/points fees rising and point creep (point system states), it might not be as expensive as one might think? Currently @ $41/yr for a nonres deer preference point in WY, if the price never went up, for say, 10 points to get a really good tag, I'm looking at $410 on top of the tag cost; plus 10 yrs. And depending on the area/tag, it could be much worse than that.

With the point creep and limited tags, its worth looking at other options like these landowner tags to get out there where dreams are made...😉
This was exactly my logic!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
At 46, everyone says how 'young' I am, but the fact is time flies; and we only have so many years to get out there...

Many states have these landowner tags, using a broad definition, and in slightly different formats, so it can get confusing/complicated figuring some of them out.

New Mexico has some type of landowner tag; only reason I know anything about it is from an outfitter's booth guest list I signed at a winter outdoors show; but these tags aren't any sort of secret either. I'm on their email list and get email offers of guided/semi-guided/DIY muley hunts on private land with a landowner tag in northern NM where they operate. They seem reputable; but like anything, one needs to research specifics before parting with the stash...💸

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Every year I try to get out somewhere hunting the western mountains. This year it will be 20 hunts since 2006, and all of them were "dream hunts" at the time. I would love to go on a mountain caribou hunt, knowing the sheep are not ever going to happen for me. I do have high hopes for my guided muzzy elk and deer hunt in Colorado in less than two weeks. Eternal optimism is a trait of most dedicated hunters.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I bought a landowner voucher for a Gunnison Basin unit in 2015 because I was seeing a lot of big bucks and in those units you never know when the next terrible winter is coming. I killed a 190” buck. The timing was right and in that situation I would do it again.
As luck would have it I drew the same tag the next year and killed a 201” buck. Then another bad winter hit in ‘16-‘17 and I’m very glad I got to hunt it two years in a row when deer quality/quantity was on a peak.
I’m currently saving my pennies for a NM landowner elk Voucher in case I’m never drawn. I get points in 5 states but that still might not guarantee a “trophy tag” so I put a few dollars aside every year with the intention of buying a landowner tag or two or even a guided hunt for the chance to take a couple trophy animals some day.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I'd say go for it if it's affordable. If it's what you love to do, why not? A good (by good , I mean highly sought after; they are all good) muley tag is getting harder to come by all the time. If you happen to draw a good tag somewhere else, then oh well I guess you can have two dream hunts the same year :)! My favorite is deer hunting either Black tail or Mulies, so I'm fortunate to live the dream almost every year!
As I get older I've realized I'll probably never get everywhere I want to hunt (what a great problem to try and fix), but I do have a list of hunts that are most likely out of reach for me. A couple I hope to make happen are Muskox, Caribou (succesful on a mature bull:)), Desert Bighorn and Rocky Mtn./California Bighorn; NZ Tahr, Chamios and Stag would be right up near the top also. I have a lot of points for sheep and put in for random hunts, but who knows if I'll actually ever draw.
Marco Polo, Stone sheep, Ibex and Leopard would be on the; if I win the lottery plan also! A lot of my hunts include the places I'd like to explore and experience the culture, as much as (well almost as much as :D) the animals to hunt.
I'm well aware I've been fortunate to go on adventures and experience more hunts than most, so if I only hunt the west for deer, elk, antelope and bear (and my WY moose) for the remainder of my hunting career I'd be just fine too!
Sheesh I better get planning!

Last edited: