Muzzle Loader Bullets

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Basically, BH 209 is a smokeless powder detuned to BP specs. You measure it the same as BP in volume. You use the same solvents to clean it as your CF guns. I've gone as much as 60 shots with easy loading, and no change in accuracy. It doesn't go bad over time, and absorbs almost no moisture. If any at all. It's expensive, but worth it.

However, it has a higher ignition temperature. This causes some problems with some breech plugs. Some can be corrected with a drill. Some can't. Others give 100% ignition from the factory.

Recovered Thor was 247 grains. The ballistic tip weighs 3 grains.

BH209! Its THE best powder on the market IF your muzzle loader can shoot it of course. In your case, i would NOT recommend it as the Blk diamond has throw spent primers into the face of the shooter when using BH209. Best suited for bolt actions and break actions muzzle loaders so you get a good tight seal on the primer.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
I agree, and it's what I use. I just didn't want to talk you into it if your mind was set on a heavier bullet. A 250gr bullet is heavy in the CF world. Even if a ML isn't pushing it that fast. It still smacks them.