Mule Deer Week starts Saturday

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Starting this Saturday the 21st of November, we are doing a deer week on YouTube and social media. All things mule deer! This includes the final 50 minute migration video we've been working on called IMPERILED. I got to preview it on Monday and it is awesome!!! We are rolling that one out on the 25th. Here is a schedule for the week..... figured you guys would want to know if you didn't know about it yet.

This is the link to the 8 minute teaser we put out a few months ago:

Attachments

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Very cool. I like to see the progress each year as these deer make their way to the winter range.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Everybody is worried about the mule deer population in Wyoming but the game and fish still allocates doe tags. I am no biologist but it doesn't make sense to me.

I do like that they are mapping and purchasing the migration routes and installing crossovers and crossunders for the animals to follow during their migration. I feel it is a step in the right direction and saves a lot of animals from vehicular death.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Everybody is worried about the mule deer population in Wyoming but the game and fish still allocates doe tags. I am no biologist but it doesn't make sense to me.

I do like that they are mapping and purchasing the migration routes and installing crossovers and crossunders for the animals to follow during their migration. I feel it is a step in the right direction and saves a lot of animals from vehicular death.
One of the things this video will talk about is the sum of the whole. Mule deer are hit at multiple points all the time.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Nice. I hope this opens peoples eyes and gets them back on a good track to recovery!

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO

I think what people get confused about it competition for food and carry capacity. When these critters lose habitat to due human expansion there becomes a higher demand is smaller areas . Thus leaving smaller amounts of nutrition for these critters. This leads to poorer health and lower survival rate. Add on a severe winter and it can be disastrous for them. Add competition from elk in which create a higher browse line and the mule deer suffer. Here in Colorado the oak brush and cheat grass is running wild and is to no use to these critters so loss of habitat again. So culling does is a good management tool to create less competition to keep the heard healthier.. Think of nutrition as the key factor.

Look at this way, when the covid hit in march/ april what happen to the grocery stores ? This country has a carrying capacity also and when just a little tweak hits we run out. Even we as americans that are over feed & under worked still have the basic instinct to ingest as much as we can when the panic button is hit. Same as the mule deer. So again nutrition.

I will say it is a trying time for wildlife biologist with drought, loss of habitat, CWD, adding apex predators to the equation and a high demand from sportsman to harvest mule deer. It is high order to save them for hunt able populations ! So what I think biologist are trying to do is manage what we have at a heathy population due to outside forces. Again a tall order for them.

Reactions: Bonecollector

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good points. Not to mention that grazing rights have destroyed the landscape.... but nobody wants to talk about that. Either way I anticipate to see what the future plans hold. Even if that means I cant hunt there for several years.

Speaking of covid. I scored a 12 pack of toilet paper (the good stuff with the bears and clouds) last night at the local dollar general. SHHHHHHHH dont tell anybody...