Mule deer trip

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
Won?t let me upload videos for some reason so will have to visit my Instagram page. Will write a full story when home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
I was able to sneak a couple hours away to a great mule deer area this week. I normally dont like to hunt during rifle season up there but it was my only chance so far this year. There is less than a week left of the 2 week rifle season. I saw roughly 8 trucks a day and 6 campers in the area over the two days. The trucks actually help out quite a bit for someone who is willing to walk. I did not see a single person get out of their truck during these days. If you get out to where the roads dont touch, then glass back in you can see the deer move from the sound of the trucks. I was on deer from the moment I left the road. There are some very nice bucks in there, 5x5, 4x4, 3x5 and the such. One extremely nice 5x5 was outside his ears. The terrain is amazing, bluffs, cliffs, draws, drainages, creek bottoms, sage brush, hardwoods, and pine trees. There were musk rats, turkeys, coyotes, whitetail, mule deer and even two bison. I assume the bison escaped from a nearby ranch since they were not supposed to be there. The rut was in full swing, lips curling, nose to the ground. I followed one buck for over two miles trying to sneak on him over every hill but he was just too quick and jumpy. He had his front left fork broke off from fighting, when he would come across a buck with does he was trailing, he would just circle around not trying to start a fight. The closest I was able to get on any of the bigger bucks was 92 yards. The amount of deer I was encountering and time of year I held out to try it again in a week or so after rifle season ends. I did not hear a single gun shot in the two days. The one pic of the canyon wall has a couple mule deer does in there, the video on instagram shows where they run by me at 18 yards. No buck was with them or I would have had a 40 yard shot. I hiked roughly 20 miles in the two days. Found myself in a rough spot trying to go back up one of the cliffs with some rocks moving out from under me. The night i spent in the tent was a little chilly with a wind chill of -15. I wouldn't trade any of that for the experience. I am going to make this a yearly tripe from now on.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
We burned our points this year. Archery during the rut for us next year.

Looks like a great time. We didn't see anyone out of their trucks last weekend either. Southern Black Hills for us.