Mule Deer Hunting Books

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Anyone have some good reccomendations for mule deer hunting reads. I have already read the public land mulies by David Long. Currently i am reading Backcountry Mulies by Dwight Schuh (pretty sure i just butchered that name). Just looking for more to read. Im also going to get the Mike Eastman Mule deer tactics book.

Thanks,

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Public land mulies by David Long is in my opinion one of the best book out there.

I didn't care much for "Hunting Big Mule Deer" book at all. The more I read it the weirder things got.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Anyone have some good reccomendations for mule deer hunting reads. I have already read the public land mulies by David Long. Currently i am reading Backcountry Mulies by Dwight Schuh (pretty sure i just butchered that name). Just looking for more to read. Im also going to get the Mike Eastman Mule deer tactics book.

Thanks,
Long?s book is very high country heavy. Mike?s tactics book covers all types of country.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Check out Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman. It's even free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Eastman's fun to read. You get a mix of anecdotes, sometimes repetitive but still entertaining, but he's also good at summarizing his main points in each chapter.

I think writing style matters a lot - you go with something you like. The main advice is the same across almost any resource: glass like crazy, learn patterns/routes/hideouts, and hike hike hike. It's just how it's delivered.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
Every book has something you can take from it. I'd recommend any podcast or article with/by Randy Ulmer.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Mule Deer Quest by Walt Prothero. It?s a great read and makes you wish you could have been around for the golden age of mule deer hunting. Walt really does a good job of putting you there with him during his hunts.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
2nd Walt Prothero. I have a few of his books and he is an equally good hunter as he is a writer. Very hard to find someone who is good at both.

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I liked Robby Denning and Mike Eastman's books the best. They have great info and a really straight forward style I like. David Long's books and Blood In The Tracks by Jim Collyer were other favorites. I liked Dwight Shuh and Walt Prothero's books too. I read Kurt Darner's book also. He has had his legal troubles but I learned some useful tips in his book. I tried to learn something from all of them and read all that I could find.