Mule Deer Elevation Question??

hersh2209

Dec 30, 2011
Colorado
Just wondering if anyone had an answer for me>? I live and hunt in zone 37, and371 in Colorado. In the summer months while scouting I have seen several bachelor groups of decent bucks at lower elevation (9,500-10,500ft) and they seem to stay in this area all summer instead of heading to the high basins and timberline which is 12,000Ft. I have seen a few decent bucks up at timberline but not as many as other people seem to see in other parts of the state. Just wondering why the bucks aren't heading up high?? thanks

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Don't really know for sure, but I'll make a guess or two.

A lot depends on available food conditions, weather and I really think genetics. I see a few of the same bucks (at least ones that are distinctive enought to tell) year after year in the same places. I think where they were raised has a lot to do with where they spend their lives. Sure conditions change, especially food sources and weather, but deer tend to do the same things year after year. This is one of the reasons biologists like to break hunting areas into small zones, so they can manage the animals on a herd basis if you will. Years ago when there was virtually no "herd" mamagement, deer populations in certain areas could get really low due to hunting pressure, habitat changes and yearly weather pattern changes.

Hard question to really answer, but after 55 years of chasing these critters, I have seen some things that make sense to me.:eek:

CoBackcountry

Mar 8, 2011
Castle Rock Co
i hunted 37 for a few years and i may have to do with all the ranches down in the valley they may know there safe
the elk would always be down there buglin at me acroos the fences