MT success % vs..

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
...Eastman?s MRS. I just spoke with a biologist in MT about some antelope units Ive been researching. One of the units that caught my attention has a success rate of 100%, of course that caught my attention. For the record, I did not use the MT hunt planner to verify but I did mention it to the biologist and he stated that, ?NO, that?s incorrect as we do good to get above 50%?.
I?m not overly concerned with said unit that the magazines have listed as 100% or near but I find it odd the biologist corrected me.

Any insight? Did he misunderstand me or did I misunderstand him? We did talk about population objectives (some which are around 50%, but I was specific about harvest).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
After typing this out, so you think he was implying that I meant that 100% o my antelope were killed every year and he was correcting me stating that 50% was more like it? Still seems high...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Success rates and harvest rates of all states that have a hunting season that doesn't do mandatory checks upon harvest.........will always be bad data IMO.

Even if the state has a mandatory check system established there is still ( estimated 10-20%) of the people not following the rules.

Just my 2 sense.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Its a shame though IMO also because a lot of people put a lot of time into making those numbers good and accurate as possible.......does it most likely give a good trend...yes I think so.

But I'm not sold on planning a hunt with it.....its just another piece of data to evaluate.