MT DIY Spring Bear 12'

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
MT DIY Spring Bear '12

Well, I just got back from a successful spring bear hunt. We hunted 8 days, saw 16 bears (5 grizzlies) and ended up taking the biggest bear we saw.

My dad spotted this bear at the mouth of a canyon where I had went after a big black one two days prior. He watched him until dark and the next morning I found him within 200 yards of where he had last seen him. I was able to put a stalk on him and got within 240 yds. One shot from my Sako .270 Win., he ran about 15 yds. and piled up. Pack out was all downhill!

He's a beautiful light reddish brown colored bear with awesome hair. We roughly squared him at 6ft. He might stretch a little though.

I know it's not a very good picture, but here is one of the grizzlies we saw. This is a BIG bear.

I love spring bear hunting!

Last edited:

Drelk

Jul 25, 2011

I think you shot my bear:)). Just kidding. Wrong state

The bear you killed is my dream bear. I will get a full lifesize if I get anything close to that beast

Congrats

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Ceby7... So I just read your story. I wouldn't consider myself a pro at bear hunting but I do have a few under my belt. You mentioned you harvested him in the morning. I have never done so, is this a common hunting style for you or did you only hunt the morning because you had spotted him so late in the evening? Just curious.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
You mentioned you harvested him in the morning. I have never done so, is this a common hunting style for you or did you only hunt the morning because you had spotted him so late in the evening? Just curious.
Actually the morning is my favorite time to hunt bears. I always start glassing at first light and glass hard until about 10 or 11 depending on the weather. If I can spot a good bear in the AM it gives me time to put a stalk on him, whereas if I spot bears in the evening I usually don't have time to get to them before dark (where we hunt we can glass a long ways and there's normally some serious elevation gain to get to them). Not to say I don't glass in the evenings, I glass just as hard from about 4PM on, but if I spot one, like the one I got, I try and put myself where I last saw them the next morning. I just hate going to sleep hoping and praying he's still gonna be there in the AM!!

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Actually the morning is my favorite time to hunt bears. I always start glassing at first light and glass hard until about 10 or 11 depending on the weather. If I can spot a good bear in the AM it gives me time to put a stalk on him, whereas if I spot bears in the evening I usually don't have time to get to them before dark (where we hunt we can glass a long ways and there's normally some serious elevation gain to get to them). Not to say I don't glass in the evenings, I glass just as hard from about 4PM on, but if I spot one, like the one I got, I try and put myself where I last saw them the next morning. I just hate going to sleep hoping and praying he's still gonna be there in the AM!!
It's good to know... For me it's just so tough on a multiple day hunt to be out until 10~10:30, then back at camp 11~11:30, dinner then in bed by 12~12:30 and then back up again at 4am to be glassing by 5am. Just burns me out with the long summer/June days. But it's all good... Thats why i love hunting, little different for everyone!!

Nice work... I head on my trip June 2nd.