Moving to Utah

jhpam3117

Mar 8, 2011
In transition
I am pretty sure I will be moving to the Salt Lake area this summer. How is the hunting in Utah? What do I need to know? Has this state become hard to get good access or tags through management and political moves?

Thanks for any feedback!

Joe

gon4elk

Feb 21, 2011
Cache Valley, Utah
Plenty of access just the quality of critters is something to be desired on most of the General hunts. Going to be big changes in 2012 in the way the deer tags and hunts are done (micromanaged units like Colroado). If you already haven't, start building points like everybody else and it will pay off soemday. Archery,rifle or muzzeloader hunter? Waterfowl hunting is really good on the GSL Marshes if your into that.

jhpam3117

Mar 8, 2011
In transition
Plenty of access just the quality of critters is something to be desired on most of the General hunts. Going to be big changes in 2012 in the way the deer tags and hunts are done (micromanaged units like Colroado). If you already haven't, start building points like everybody else and it will pay off soemday. Archery,rifle or muzzeloader hunter? Waterfowl hunting is really good on the GSL Marshes if your into that.
Thanks for the feedback! I hunt with bow and gun. I will start to buy points this year...if I still can. I won't be a resident in time for resident priced tags this year so I will hunt WY, then start UT in 2012. I also enjoy pheasant hunting.

Thanks!

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Welcome to Utah. Lots of access to public not far from SLC. There will be lots of people hunting in the counties surrounding the Wasatch Front but if you're a bow hunter, then as long as your willing to get off the beaten path, you should be able to find some good areas without a lot of pressure.

Pepper

Feb 21, 2011
If you live in salt lake, look into getting the otc archery elk tag, there is some great hunting minutes away from the valley.

rsess32

Apr 5, 2012
Riverton, Utah
utah is a fantastic state for hunting if you take your bow. General areas with a rifle not so much. you'll be shoulder to shoulder with about 40 other hunters in the same canyon. but archery is great if you're willing to hike a bit! LE tags are tough to get but oh sooooooo worth the wait! i drew a LE archery elk tag last year and there are some huge ones here in utah! P.S. welcome to Utah