Moving to Boulder Area

Jul 24, 2011
My wife and I are moving to Colorado in 16 months and I was hoping someone could give me some insight into the hunting opportunities in the area. I have hunted Colorado for several years, but i always hunted near Grand Junction or Durango. We looked at a few properties after this years hunt and liked the areas to the N and NW of Denver between Boulder and Loveland. We are hoping to find some property that allows me to hunt right from home but is still not a nightmare of a commute (I will be working near Boulder). I have also heard that there is great deer hunting on private land around Greely and Fort Collins, so that is another option. Any thoughts would help.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Boulder huh? Start thinking jeans with flip flops, Starbucks & square framed eye glasses! Hunting... not so much. Just kidding, I'm sure like everywhere else in the state there's decent places to hunt. I don't have any experience with the area, but I'm sure once you get there you can start getting some hunting areas figured out. Good luck, and welcome to Colorado (a little early) :)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Like CoHiCountry I don't have much experience with that area...try to stay away from the frontrange and all of the people as much as possible. I am sure you will find somewhere to hunt, probably close to your area too. I just got back from my morning walk and saw probably 40 deer, several nice bucks as the rut is going full bore now.Good luck.

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks guys. Boulder is not my first choice but Denver is the only recruiting job available to me. I am hoping to retire after that. I have hunted around Grand Junction and Durango and both were better areas. I guess I will just have to plan on driving a bit each year. Oh well it's better than flying from the East Coast.

rickinnoco

Jan 15, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I just moved to Fort Collins this past August. I didn't get to hunt at all this year as I was still a "nonresident," and I was busy trying to make money. The Front Range is where all the people are. I sell real estate so I chose to stick to population centers. I think you would like the areas around Loveland, Berthoud, Longmont, Johnstown. Lots of neat little towns east of I-25 too. From what I can tell, there is some good hunting near the Front Range, you just have to compete with the weekend "outdoors" types. In fact, some of the units around Boulder and I-70 aren't even open for hunting on the weekend because of hiker traffic. From what I've heard, you'd be more likely to hit the lottery than to get permission to hunt private land around Fort Collins. At least then you could buy your own ranch! I'll definitely be able to give you a more hands-on opinion after next season!

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
I live in Boulder. We've done some grouse hunting up towards the divide, but as far as big game, its a drive. I did talk to one guy this year that said he draws every other year a cow elk tag for the unit of the mountains near Boulder and always gets his elk, but I've neer seen any. There's also some close mulie hunting if you aren't looking for a wallhanger, but its a draw as well. Personally, if I am going to use points I'll look for a better location.

Timberline143

Feb 11, 2012
Don't let being close to Denver scare you off.. Unit 29 which Boulder is in has some great elk and deer hunting. There is a lot more public land up high between Nederland and Ward.. I have killed many bulls in 29 and when I don't draw I just hunt the next unit to the south, 38, with just as much success. If you archery hunt these are great units and for muzzleloading and 1st rifle they are very good as well.. Take the time to scout it and I think you will be very impressed with the quality of animals there. Plenty of 300+ bulls. There is also decent turkey hunting in unit 20 and 29 as well.. Let me know if you have any questions regarding area.. I lived there for 15 years and still spend every fall there..Be careful saying your a hunter in Boulder though!!!!!!

Arvadaarmy

Jan 19, 2015
Timberline143,

I know this is an old post, I sent you a PM. Looking into muzzle in 29 this year (2015)