Mountain Lion Hunt With Dogs!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I fully support predator management in every form, and don’t have anything against guys who shoot bears and cats out of a tree. It’s a necessary way to hunt certain critters, but I don’t like watching it on tv. Anyone else cringe a little when they take the shot?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I fully support predator management in every form, and don’t have anything against guys who shoot bears and cats out of a tree. It’s a necessary way to hunt certain critters, but I don’t like watching it on tv. Anyone else cringe a little when they take the shot?
What they don't often show is what they had to go through just to get to that tree. Like any hunt, some may come easy, but most of them don't.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The piece that is so hard to put on TV is how much work it took to get to the point of the shot. Using hounds is about the only effective way to do it but it does not gaurantee kill.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
The piece that is so hard to put on TV is how much work it took to get to the point of the shot. Using hounds is about the only effective way to do it but it does not gaurantee kill.
I totally get it that it can be a grueling hunt, often many days spent chasing dogs up and down some of the most rugged terrain the west has to offer. And I’m glad hunters are killing these predators, as they must be controlled. It’s just that by the time the shot comes, the animal has nowhere to go. I’m not questioning the ethics or necessity, there’s just a small part of the animal lover in me that cringes a bit. That being said, I’d probably hunt a lion if the opportunity arises

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I totally get it that it can be a grueling hunt, often many days spent chasing dogs up and down some of the most rugged terrain the west has to offer. And I’m glad hunters are killing these predators, as they must be controlled. It’s just that by the time the shot comes, the animal has nowhere to go. I’m not questioning the ethics or necessity, there’s just a small part of the animal lover in me that cringes a bit. That being said, I’d probably hunt a lion if the opportunity arises
Fair enough.